Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is meant by pressure being a momentum flux?

1. Jul 17, 2014 #1
    hi, I have been working on equation of state and one of my article says pressure is a momentum flux. what is the physical meaning of this? they have written it as

pressure =(1/3) *number density*volume*momentum

please explain me the expression

regards

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2014 #2
    I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

4. Jul 21, 2014 #3
    no not yet, how is pressure a momentum flux?

5. Jul 21, 2014 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

A flux of something has units of something per m2 per second: something / (m2·s).

So momentum flux would be (kg·m/s) / (m2·s). I'll let you simplify it.

Pressure is force per unit area: N/m2. Expand the newtons into basic units, simplify, and compare with the units of momentum flux.

6. Jul 21, 2014 #5

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

force is a momentum transfer rate:
    momentum / time

pressure is force density :
    force / area
    or:
    momentum / time / area

7. Jul 21, 2014 #6

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Assuming that "number density" means something like "molecules per m3" and "momentum" means "momentum per molecule", the units are not consistent in this equation. I think "volume" should be "velocity", i.e. you have mis-interpreted a "v" in the original equation.

8. Jul 22, 2014 #7
    thank u all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook