What is "smearing" and what is a "smeared field"

• Thread starter Sicktoaster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field
In summary: This is a more specific definition, and is more analogous to what is happening in a Bose-Einstein condensate.
Sicktoaster
I've seen these terms in connection with quantum mechanics a lot. I've looked them up but it's hard to find just a straightforward definition of them.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's because they're not really definitions, they're analogies.

All word descriptions of the subatomic world are necessarily inaccurate because there are no analogies with anything in our experience. The only accurate descriptions of anything are the formulae themselves.

So I guess the "definition" of smearing is the equation that describes a Bose-Einstein condensate.

DaveC426913 said:
That's because they're not really definitions, they're analogies.

All word descriptions of the subatomic world are necessarily inaccurate because there are no analogies with anything in our experience. The only accurate descriptions of anything are the formulae themselves.

So I guess the "definition" of smearing is the equation that describes a Bose-Einstein condensate.

That's still a definition if that is the definition. I'm not looking for familiarity just as long as there is a definition even if the definition is anything that fits such-and-such equation. Even if I can't accurately picture it happening (which as you pointed out is impossible) what I'm looking for is to understand the definition mathematically and hopefully at some point understand how these mathematical equations can be applied to current or potential technology.

So is "smearing" as used in QM literature perfectly synonymous with the Bose-Einstein condensate equation?

Sicktoaster said:
So is "smearing" as used in QM literature perfectly synonymous with the Bose-Einstein condensate equation?
I'll defer to professionals in the field for accuracy in termonology, but yes, in a nutshell, when atoms are cooled to near 0K they smear out into a BEC. As their motion approaches zero, HUP dictates that their position becomes indistinct. You can no longer tell one atom from another. In fact, it becomes meaningless to try.

You can use "smearing" to describe what happens during Bose-Einstein condensation, but you get similar effects without BECs as well. Therefore, they are not synonyms.

mfb said:
You can use "smearing" to describe what happens during Bose-Einstein condensation, but you get similar effects without BECs as well. Therefore, they are not synonyms.

Care to elaborate?

Also why is the word "smearing" used to refer to it? I understand it's not the same "smearing" you'd see in everyday life but there has to be some reason they chose that word. I've seen colored graphs of Bose-Einstein Condensates forming and I don't see how it's even analogous to smearing. It seems like it concentrates more in the middle. Smearing you think of it smearing out to cover a wider area, which it does not appear to do.

Sicktoaster said:
Care to elaborate?
"Smearing" is not well-defined enough for that.

If it just refers to wave functions spread out in space, then the double-slit experiment is enough to find something similar. Or a simple electron orbital in an atom.

Sicktoaster said:
Smearing you think of it smearing out to cover a wider area, which it does not appear to do.
Compared to classical arrangements of atoms (every atom has a single place), it is certainly much wider.

Another possibility: In your typical Wightman axioms context, field operators are said to be 'smeared' distributions with the help of test functions.

Related to What is "smearing" and what is a "smeared field"

1. What is "smearing"?

"Smearing" is a term used in science to describe the blurring or spreading of a signal or measurement over a wider area than its original source. This can occur due to factors such as instrument limitations, sample preparation techniques, or environmental conditions.

2. How does smearing affect data analysis?

Smearing can significantly impact data analysis by distorting or obscuring the original signal or measurement. This can lead to inaccurate conclusions or findings if not properly accounted for in the analysis process.

3. What causes a smeared field?

A smeared field can be caused by a variety of factors, including imperfect lenses or mirrors in an optical system, movement of the sample or instrument during data collection, or the use of high energy beams that can scatter or diffract off of the sample.

4. Can smearing be corrected or minimized?

Yes, smearing can be corrected or minimized through various techniques such as using higher quality optical components, stabilizing the sample and instrument during data collection, or using advanced algorithms in data analysis to deconvolve the smeared signal.

5. Is smearing always undesirable?

No, there are some cases where smearing can actually be beneficial, such as in certain imaging techniques where it can help enhance contrast or resolution. However, in most cases, smearing is considered undesirable and efforts are made to minimize its effects on data analysis.