Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B What is the difference between a wave and a field?

1. Jul 2, 2018 #1
    I've been reading about Quantum Field Theory. It strikes me that since the 1920's, physicists have changed the name "wave" to "field". I can't tell the difference between today's "fields" and what was described a "wave" in quantum theory in the early 1900's.

So in quantum physics, is there a difference between a wave and a field, (and if so, what is the difference), or are the two words interchangeable? (Would it be possible to answer in layman's terms please).

Many thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2018 #2

phinds

Gold Member

A field is static and a wave oscillates with time. To take two extreme examples, if you have a rogue planet out in intergalactic space, its distortion of space-time creates a gravitational field around it. When two black holes merge, that creates a gravitational wave.

OOPS .. I see you've asked about QM waves/fields. Not sure if what I said is valid for that although I don't see why field and wave would be defined differently in QM.

4. Jul 2, 2018 #3

anorlunda

Staff: Mentor

The etiquette here on PF is to never make a statement like that without saying exactly what you have been reading. A hyperlink is the best way. The reason is that readers often misinterpret what they read, so they say that the source says something it does not.

I don't understand why you connect waves with fields in your mind. Think of everyday life.

We have temperature fields; meaning a value of temperature at every point in 3D space, and in time. Temperature is a scalar field.

We have wind fields with a magnitude and direction of wind at every point in 3D space and in time. Wind is a vector field because it has both magnitude and direction.

How would those fields be like waves?

It is the phrase wave-function in QFT that confuses you?

5. Jul 2, 2018 #4

Nugatory

A field is a function whose input is a position (in space or spacetime) and whose output is some mathematical object, like a number or a vector. An example of a field whose output is a number might be the temperature in a room; it has some numerical value at every point in the room. An example of a field whose output is a vector would be the electrical field within that room; it is the force experienced by a charged test particle at a given point in the room.

A wave is any phenomenon whose behavior is described by some form of a particular differential equation, the "wave equation". Informally, that means "things that oscillate".

The two words are not even slightly interchangeable. Unfortunately I don't know any good "layman' terms, please" way of getting from the wave function of elementary quantum mechanics to quantum field theory; they are basically different formulations of the theory.

6. Jul 2, 2018 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

You're going to have to give specific examples. Otherwise, it's just the feeling of someone who doesn't understand what either one means. And given that waves and fields had definitions long before the 1920's, what you are claiming is immediately rather suspect.

7. Jul 3, 2018 #6

Khashishi

Science Advisor

No, that's not right at all.

Nugatory has a right answer, but I will add that waves exist within a field. A wave is a particular time-dependent pattern within a field which follows the mathematics of the wave equation, and the field is the medium. For example, an electromagnetic wave is a pattern (usually oscillatory in space and time) in the electromagnetic field. You can have patterns in a field which aren't waves -- e.g. the electromagnetic field where matter is present.

8. Jul 3, 2018 #7
    I've gathered that subatomic particles have a wave-particle nature, (http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/debrog.html#c1). The wave aspect of a particle it is not like a physical wave, but rather a probability wave, (i.e. a wave of information about where the particle is probably located etc.).

According to quantum field theory (), the fundamental buildings of the universe are not solid physical objects, but rather fields. These fields tend to ripple, which give rise to packets of energy. These packets of energy manifest as particles - electrons, neutrons, protons etc. (So even particles themselves are not solid objects rattling around.)

The fields in quantum field theory are not unlike the waves in traditional quantum theory, in the sense that they do not consist of any particular physical material. They are more like carriers of information and mathematics.

So to me, when today's physicists describe the "quantum fields", (which contain the maths and probabilities of the appearance of ripples), they are describing the same "waves" which Schrödinger, Heisenberg, Planck and Bohr described back in early 1900's.

9. Jul 17, 2018 #8

anorlunda

But you can tell the difference between the ocean and a wave on the surface of the ocean, right?

10. Jul 17, 2018 #9
    That's a good analogy, which, if you think about it, also demonstrates that it's one and the same thing.

11. Jul 17, 2018 #10

anorlunda

How can you say that? There are not always waves on the ocean. Ocean and wave are not synonyms.

12. Jul 18, 2018 #11
    They're made of the same 'substance', which was my original point to the thread. The difference between the ocean and quantum fields, however, is that quantum fields and quantum waves are not made of any material substance at all. They are more of an ethereal substance - the carriers of information and mathematical principles. (Dare I say it, quantum fields, which form the root and base of everything in the universe, reveal attributes more of mind and consciousness than anything physical).

13. Jul 18, 2018 #12

Nugatory

That's like saying that elephants and running are the same thing because elephants sometimes run.

I would buy the analogies: wave is to field as ocean wave is to ocean water and as running is to running elephant.

14. Jul 18, 2018 #13
    Oceans and ocean waves are made up of water molecules. They are made of the same substance. But the same can't be said of elephants and running. Quantum fields and quantum waves are also made of the same 'substance', that's the point I've been trying to make

15. Jul 18, 2018 #14

Nugatory

You will continue to confuse yourself if you continue to think of a wave as a moving something rather than a form of motion. To be fair however, confusion of this sort is very hard to avoid when trying to describe the concepts in natural language and by analogy instead of precisely and in the language of mathematics. If you set up and solve a few different wave problems (taut string, water wave, electromagnetic wave, ...) this entire wave vs. field problem will resolve itself - it will become clear that the wave and the thing waving are completely different things.

16. Jul 18, 2018 #15

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

I can’t help thinking that the OP is looking for something that just isn’t there. The two terms are perfectly well defined in the Classical context and I can’t see that anything is different in Modern Physics. Waves all involve variations of some quantity in space and time but fields have a fixed value at any location and time.

17. Jul 18, 2018 #16

phinds

Gold Member

Which is exactly what I told him in post #2, only to be contradicted in post #6

18. Jul 18, 2018 #17

anorlunda

It is splitting hairs, but you said fields are static. That's not the same as "fixed value at any location and time."

19. Jul 18, 2018 #18

phinds

Gold Member

Ouch. My hairs feel split.

20. Jul 19, 2018 #19
    What does it mean to have a fixed value at "any location and time"? This seems like true for anything, field or no field.
    I mean, how else can be that value than "fixed"? It cannot vary in time or space because they are both fixed by specifying a certain location and time.

21. Jul 23, 2018 #20

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Perhaps I could rephrase and say the value of a field doesn’t involve knowing its value somewhere else or at a different time: it is not expressed as a function of position or time.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted