What is the average radius of a betatron vacuum chamber?

In summary, during a conversation about particle accelerators, the size of the core magnets and vacuum chamber was being discussed. The average size of a toroidal vacuum chamber was stated to be 0.5m, but the diameter was debated. Despite reviewing patents and reading books on particle accelerator physics, the exact size of a vacuum chamber for a betatron could not be found. However, there are three key parameters that can be used to estimate the radius of the betatron orbit: the typical energy, the B field at the orbit, and the electron beam's rigidity. Using these parameters, the estimated orbit radius for a betatron with a 0.5 Tesla peak field at 20 MeV is 0.13 meters,
youngT-Stark
My friend and I were discussing particle accelerators (betatrons to be exact) and we began to argue about the size of the core magnets and vacuum chamber. He said that an average torodial vacuum chamber is 0.5m. I have seen old photos of them and said that's more likely to be the diameter. I have reviewed several patents on betatrons, read three books on particle accelerator physics, and haven't managed to find out how large a vacuum chamber is. If anybody can give me a rough estimate or other parameters so i could figure it out, I would be very appreciative.

Or for that matter, any parameters of a betatron would do the trick.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are three important parameters that provide guidance on calculating the radius of the betatron orbit.

1) The typical energy of a small betatron was probably in the range of 20 MeV. The largest ever built, at the University of Illinois, was about 300 MeV.

2) The B field at the orbit is half the average B field inside the orbit.

3) The rigidity of an electron beam is [tex] B\rho=\frac{\beta \gamma}{c}m_{o} c^2 \text { Tesla meters} [/tex]So assuming the peak field at the orbit is 0.5 Tesla at 20 MeV, we get a rigidity of 0.067 Tesla meters, and an orbit radius of 0.13 meters. For the Illinois betatron, it would be about 2 meters. See photo on page 19 of http://www.lhep.unibe.ch/img/lectureslides/5_2007-11-12_AcceleratorPhysicsIII.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, that is a huge help.

1. What is a betatron vacuum chamber?

A betatron vacuum chamber is a device used in particle accelerators to contain and manipulate charged particles at high speeds. It is typically a cylindrical chamber made of materials that can withstand high vacuum and electromagnetic forces.

2. What is the purpose of a betatron vacuum chamber?

The primary purpose of a betatron vacuum chamber is to contain and guide charged particles, such as electrons, as they are accelerated to high energies. This is important in various scientific experiments and research, including particle physics and nuclear medicine.

3. How is the average radius of a betatron vacuum chamber determined?

The average radius of a betatron vacuum chamber is determined by measuring the diameter of the chamber at multiple points and then taking the average of those measurements. This can be done using specialized tools such as calipers.

4. What is the typical size of a betatron vacuum chamber?

The size of a betatron vacuum chamber can vary depending on its specific application. However, they are typically several meters in length and have an average radius of a few centimeters to a few meters.

5. How does the average radius of a betatron vacuum chamber affect its performance?

The average radius of a betatron vacuum chamber plays a crucial role in its performance. A larger radius allows for a greater volume of particles to be contained and accelerated, resulting in higher energies. However, a larger radius also requires more powerful magnetic fields to guide the particles, which can be more challenging to create and maintain.