What is the Best University near Sydney for an Accelerated High School Student?

• Schools
  • Thread starter kurt.physics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    University
In summary, the speaker is a high school student in Coffs Harbour who is considering moving to Sydney for better education. They are an accelerated student in Mathematics and are looking for the best university within 50 km of Sydney. They are also interested in getting a scholarship and are unsure about the process and opportunities for accelerated students. However, replies suggest that the speaker's high school will inform them about scholarships and that they should also do some online research for privately-funded scholarships. The original post dates back to a few years ago, indicating that the speaker may have already finished university.
kurt.physics
I read quite a lot about a few universities around Australia, i am currently at High School at Coffs Harbour and to get the best education i will be forced to move (which is cool because "good something to bad rubbish"). I will go to university 2 years before i graduate yr 12 (HSC), I can do this because I am an accelerated student in Mathematics. I am considering to stay with my grandparents in Sydney, its probably easier that way. So what is the best university within about 50 km of Sydney. I'm considering University of Sydney? Does anyone have any opinions on Sydney University? Apparently they have the largest library in the (i think) West-ern Hemisphere.

Also, I would like to get a scholarship, how many is there, how much, how do i go about getting one, do accelerated students get more chance if do well

Thanks everyone for your posts

Physics news on Phys.org
I know very little about Australia's education system and its Universities, but I can say that if its anything like the United States' your high school will inform you about scholarships when you get into higher grade levels (since your post implied that you are nearing 10th grade or so). I can also say that scholarships vary dramatically. There are scholarships that completely cover the cost of college, and some that barely help with textbooks. I don't know what you mean by "do accelerated students get more chance if do well," can you please rephrase that or clarify?

Niflheim said:
I know very little about Australia's education system and its Universities, but I can say that if its anything like the United States' your high school will inform you about scholarships when you get into higher grade levels (since your post implied that you are nearing 10th grade or so).

Sometimes, but absolutely don't depend on this. Do some looking around online, at least in the US there are quite a bit of privately-funded scholarships which you'll never hear about otherwise.

samnorris93 said:
Sometimes, but absolutely don't depend on this. Do some looking around online, at least in the US there are quite a bit of privately-funded scholarships which you'll never hear about otherwise.

I meant he/she would be informed about how to go about applying to scholarships in school, not necessarily learning about specific ones.

Look at the date on the first post in this thread. kurt.physics has probably finished university by now. :biggrin:

jtbell said:
Look at the date on the first post in this thread. kurt.physics has probably finished university by now. :biggrin:

Holy crap you're right I'm an idiot.

If it's any consolation, you're far from the first person to fall into a time warp like this.

Just watch out for this when you do a forum search. That applies to everybody, not just you. :smile:

What are the factors to consider when choosing a university?

When choosing a university, it's important to consider factors such as the program offerings, location, campus life, cost, and reputation of the university.

How do I determine which university is the best fit for me?

To determine the best fit university for you, think about your academic and career goals, visit the campus, talk to current students and alumni, and research the university's resources and opportunities.

How important is the university's reputation?

The reputation of a university can play a role in job opportunities after graduation and the quality of education you receive. However, it's important to also consider other factors such as program offerings and campus life.

Should I choose a university based on its ranking?

University rankings can be a helpful tool in comparing different universities, but it should not be the sole factor in your decision. It's important to also consider your personal preferences and goals when choosing a university.

Can I transfer to a different university if I'm not happy with my initial choice?

It is possible to transfer to a different university, but it's important to carefully consider the transfer process and any potential impact on your academic progress. It's best to try to make the most of your current university experience before making a decision to transfer.