What is the best way to shield / jam ultrasound?

In summary, the conversation is about ways to shield or jam ultrasonic signals used for cross-device tracking. The individual is a programmer and looking for options to block or interfere with the signals. Suggestions are made to detect and record the signals before taking action to interfere or block them, such as using ultrasonic absorbers or creating a Faraday shield. Ultimately, the conversation is closed and the individual is advised to research and take preventive measures, such as using a bat detector and disposing of electronic devices, to avoid the need for jamming.
michael93
TL;DR Summary
Google "Ultrasonic Cross-Device Tracking"
I've downloaded SoniControl and it works somewhat well as a jammer, but I am looking for more options.

I'm trying to shield from / jam Ultrasonic Cross-Device Tracking (uxDT). (See "data over audio" and "data over sound")

Does anyone have any insight?

I am a programmer, and not an physicist/engineer, so my options are somewhat limited (e.g. I cannot build a jammer, unless it is only software).

Likes Drakkith
Physics news on Phys.org
michael93 said:
I'm trying to shield from / jam Ultrasonic Cross-Device Tracking (uxDT).
You must either absorb, reflect, or randomly scatter, the unwanted sound.
What is the bandwidth of the audio signal you want to keep out.

It is probably easier to detect and locate the source of interference than block it, then you can take direct action against the hostile source.

Take care with 'jammers'. You typically have to emit a lot more of whatever signal you're wanting to block. For unltrasound, you'd have to emit more ultrasound to keep the receiver from picking up the original signal through all the noise of the 'jamming signal'. This may be a nuisance to animals nearby that can hear in that range.

Likes berkeman and Vanadium 50
Baluncore said:
You must either absorb, reflect, or randomly scatter, the unwanted sound.
What is the bandwidth of the audio signal you want to keep out.

It is probably easier to detect and locate the source of interference than block it, then you can take direct action against the hostile source.
I'm thinking 25kHz+. It's inaudible

See:

Drakkith said:
Take care with 'jammers'. You typically have to emit a lot more of whatever signal you're wanting to block. For unltrasound, you'd have to emit more ultrasound to keep the receiver from picking up the original signal through all the noise of the 'jamming signal'. This may be a nuisance to animals nearby that can hear in that range.
Ok. Do you know of any ways to produce this ultrasound with a computer? For what it's worth, the ultrasound I'm trying to block will be at 25kHz+ (inaudible).

I looked at generating noise at a high frequency via python, but I'm not great at audio signal processing and didn't get very far. Here was my code, much of it copied from stackoverflow (I did not know how to tweak my python script to generate inaudible ultrasound noise -- unless I just didn't hear it, but I didn't really have a way to test -- I tried setting the sample rate to 1000000+):

from scipy.io import wavfile from scipy import stats import numpy as np sample_rate = 44100 length_in_seconds = 3 amplitude = 50 noise = stats.truncnorm(-1, 1, scale=min(2**16, 2**amplitude)).rvs(sample_rate * length_in_seconds) wavfile.write('noise.wav', sample_rate, noise.astype(np.int16))

Python is pretty readable for even people who don't know how to code. Might you have any suggestions for this script?

If not, do you have any suggestions for other ways for jamming?

Also, do you have any recommendations for shielding? I saw in this research paper: https://caslab.csl.yale.edu/publications/matyunin2018zeropermission.pdf

that foam helps somewhat. Do you have any other suggestions?

"What is the best way to shield / jam ultrasound?"​

If "best" means most effective, probably a deep bunker in the middle of a desert or in the middle of a mountain. Or inside a double-walled container with the gap filled with a lossy visco-elastic material and, if the bunker or container is not metal, a Faraday shield around it all.

The first step would be to record the signal(s) in question so you know what you are trying to interfere with or block.

Once you know what you want to stop, you can then generate an effective interfering signal.

For blocking, a search such as:
https://www.google.com/search?q=ultrasonic+absorbers
returns many results.

Either of these of course means you need to receive or at least detect the signal; otherwise you have no idea whether your approach is working.

So the questions arise, how are you detecting signal and what are its characteristics?

Cheers,
Tom

Last edited:
I don't think there is yet a problem, but make a start now.
1. Get a bat detector, so you can down-convert and hear active ultrasonic data.
2. Dispose of all mobile phones, and all nearby computers.
3. Move any IoT built after this year, at least 25 metres away.
4. Start to train a dog, rats, or mice, to find hidden ultrasonic chirp transmitters.

To jam signals, once they are detected.
5. Continue to use old switching power supplies.
6. Encourage crickets to live in your garden.
7. Get a bat colony to move into the roof of your house.

Thread closed for Moderation...

Likes Vanadium 50
michael93 said:
TL;DR Summary: Google "Ultrasonic Cross-Device Tracking"

I've downloaded SoniControl and it works somewhat well as a jammer, but I am looking for more options.

I'm trying to shield from / jam Ultrasonic Cross-Device Tracking (uxDT). (See "data over audio" and "data over sound")

Does anyone have any insight?

I am a programmer, and not an physicist/engineer, so my options are somewhat limited (e.g. I cannot build a jammer, unless it is only software).
Upon further review, this thread will remain closed. Trying to thwart Ultrasonic Cross-Device Tracking with moderate-power ultrasonic jamming is not a good approach. At the very least there are potential risks to hearing for people being exposed to such US noise:

https://www.health.belgium.be/en/ultrasound-and-high-frequency-sound

I did the Google search you suggested, and there are lots of better ideas for mitigating the UCDT issue, ranging from just turning it off for devices that offer that option, to using simple US shielding (foams, etc.). Please pursue those avenues -- active jamming of anything is not a subject for amateurs.

Thanks to those who responded with helpful info.

https://physics.aps.org/articles/v7/37

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-device_tracking

https://www.komando.com/privacy/prevent-cross-site-tracking/860853/

Likes Tom.G

1. What is ultrasound and why is it important to shield or jam it?

Ultrasound is a type of sound wave with a frequency higher than the upper limit of human hearing. It is used in various applications such as medical imaging, industrial testing, and communication. Shielding or jamming ultrasound is important to protect sensitive equipment from interference or to prevent unauthorized access to sensitive information.

2. What are the different methods of shielding ultrasound?

The most common methods of shielding ultrasound include using sound-absorbing materials, creating physical barriers, and using electronic jamming devices. Sound-absorbing materials, such as foam or rubber, can absorb ultrasound waves and reduce their intensity. Physical barriers, such as walls or enclosures, can block ultrasound waves from entering a specific area. Electronic jamming devices emit high-frequency noise to interfere with ultrasound signals.

3. What are the limitations of using sound-absorbing materials for ultrasound shielding?

While sound-absorbing materials can effectively reduce the intensity of ultrasound waves, they may not be suitable for all applications. These materials can be bulky and may not provide complete protection against high-intensity ultrasound. Additionally, they may not be suitable for use in environments with high temperatures or humidity, as they can deteriorate over time.

4. Can ultrasound be jammed without affecting other electronic devices?

Yes, it is possible to jam ultrasound without affecting other electronic devices. Electronic jamming devices can be designed to emit high-frequency noise only in a specific range, which can target and interfere with ultrasound signals without affecting other electronic devices. However, it is important to carefully select and calibrate the jamming device to avoid unintended interference.

5. Are there any ethical concerns with jamming ultrasound?

Yes, there are ethical concerns with jamming ultrasound, especially in medical and research settings. Jamming ultrasound can affect the accuracy of medical imaging and diagnostic tests, which can have serious consequences for patients. It can also interfere with legitimate research studies that use ultrasound. Therefore, it is important to use jamming devices responsibly and ethically, and to obtain necessary permissions and approvals before using them.