What is the Biological Significance of Okizaki Fragment?

• Thread starter cellec
  • Start date
In summary, Okizaki fragment is a piece of DNA that is created during replication. It is important for understanding DNA replication.
cellec
What is Okizaki fragment ?
Does it have anything relating to biology ?
Thanks in advance,

Biology news on Phys.org
I'm not a biologist (I'm more of a physicist), so I couldn't give you a good definition, so here's one from Wikipedia:

An Okazaki fragment is a relatively short fragment of DNA that is created by primase and Pol III along the lagging strand (see DNA replication). They are later removed by Pol I. The gaps remaining between the fragments are linked together by DNA ligase.

And yes, it appears to have something to do with biology.

DNA can only be elongated 5´ to 3´ directionally by DNA polymerase. Since you have two strand of DNA hybridized to each other into a helix, you have 4 ends total in the following configuration:

5'----------------------3'
3'----------------------5'

These two strands will separate from each other, while a part remains hybridized. A new strand can be synthesized on the single stranded part.

The following image http://nitro.biosci.arizona.edu/courses/EEB105/lectures/DNA_replication/zfigures/DNA_rep4.GIF shows you how on the leading strand 5'->3' synthesizes is possible, but on the lagging strand primers are needed = okazaki fragments.

Does this question have anything to do with me?

loseyourname said:
Does this question have anything to do with me?
Sure, your signature made me wonder. I thought it was a joke because it sounded like kind of a fruit's name than a biological term.
But why are you lagging ?
May I ask ?

Thanks

By the way, Thanks Monique and phreak for having answered my question...

Last edited:
cellec said:
But why are you lagging ?

When DNA is replicated, the 3'->5' strand is replicated slightly behind the 5'->3' strand, and so is referred to as the "lagging" strand.

As Monique said, DNA can only be synthesized in the 5'->3' direction. Because of this, the 5'->3' strand can be synthesized continuously, like this:

Code:
5' - 3'
5' - - 3'
5' - - - 3'
5' - - - - 3'

etc.

The 3'->5' strand, on the other hand, must be synthesized backward, like this:

3' - 5'
       3' - - 5'
   3' - - - - 5'
3' - - - - - 5'
3' - - - - - 5'      3' - 5' 
3' - - - - - 5'    3' - - 5' {These fragments are referred to as "Okizaki" fragments
3' - - - - - 5' 3' - - - 5' 
3' - - - - - - - - - - - 5'

Well, it takes you time to draw out that image...
Thanks loseyourname a lot for your explanation,

Related to What is the Biological Significance of Okizaki Fragment?

1. What are Okizaki fragments?

Okizaki fragments are short segments of DNA that are created during DNA replication. They are formed on the lagging strand of the DNA and are later joined together to form a continuous strand of DNA.

2. Who discovered Okizaki fragments?

Okizaki fragments were discovered by Japanese molecular biologist Reiji Okazaki in the 1960s. He and his team were studying DNA replication in E. coli bacteria and observed the formation of these short fragments during the process.

3. What is the role of Okizaki fragments in DNA replication?

Okizaki fragments play a crucial role in DNA replication. They are formed due to the discontinuous nature of the lagging strand and allow for efficient and accurate replication of the entire DNA molecule. They are later joined together by the enzyme DNA ligase to form a complete strand of DNA.

4. How are Okizaki fragments different from leading strands?

The leading strand is replicated continuously in the 5' to 3' direction, while the lagging strand is replicated in short segments, forming Okizaki fragments. This is due to the antiparallel nature of DNA. Additionally, the leading strand only requires one RNA primer, while the lagging strand requires multiple RNA primers for each Okizaki fragment.

5. Are Okizaki fragments found in all organisms?

Yes, Okizaki fragments are found in all organisms that have DNA as their genetic material. This includes bacteria, plants, animals, and humans. The mechanism of DNA replication and the formation of Okizaki fragments is highly conserved across all living organisms.