What is the center of SU(3) group

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter sufive
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Center Group Su(3)
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 7K views
sufive
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
Dear Every One,

In literatures on QCD confinement, I usually see the words ``center of group''.
It is defined to be the subgroup of some parent group and consists of elements which
commutes with all elements from the parent group. But what is the center of SU(3)
group? I need concrete answer as follows instead formal definition,

For SU(2) group, fundamental representation, the center consists the following
two matrices
c1=diag{1,1}, c2=diag{-1,-1}

What is the case for SU(3) group, fundamental representation?

Thank you very much!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The center of [tex]SU(n)[/tex] is [tex]\mathbb{Z}_n[/tex]. It is generated by

[tex]C = \alpha I_n,[/tex]

where [tex]\alpha = \exp(2\pi i/n)[/tex] is an [tex]n^\text{th}[/tex] root of unity. Note that for [tex]n=2[/tex], [tex]\alpha= -1[/tex], so we have elements [tex]I, -I[/tex].
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: phoenix95