What is the Correct Integration by Substitution for \int \frac{3x}{2x+3}?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
tweety1234
Messages
111
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



[tex]\int \frac{3x}{2x+3}[/tex]

[tex]u = 2x +3[/tex]

[tex]x = \frac{1}{2}(u-3} )[/tex]

[tex]dx = \frac{1}{2} du[/tex]

so now the integral should be,

[tex]\int \frac{ \frac{3u-9}{2}}{u} \times \frac{1}{2} du[/tex]

= [tex]\frac{1}{2} \int \frac{3u-9}{2} \times \frac{1}{u} du[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2} \int \frac{3u-9}{2u} du[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2} \int \frac{3u}{2u} - \frac{9}{2u}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2} \int \frac{3}{2} - \frac{9}{2u}[/tex]

= [tex]\frac{1}{2} [ \frac{3}{2}u - \frac{9}{2} ln(2u)][/tex]

so final answer, after simplifying is ; [tex]\frac{3}{2}x +\frac{9}{4} - \frac{9}{4}ln(4x+6) +c[/tex]

but my book says the correct answer is [tex]\frac{3}{2}x - \frac{9}{4}ln(2x+3) +c[/tex]

So if anyone can tell me where I have gone wrong, I would really appreciate it.

thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The two answers are equivalent, just with different constants of integration. Remember, [itex]\ln(4x+6)=\ln(2)+\ln(2x+3)[/itex], so the additional terms are just constants which can be absorbed into the integration constant.
 
gabbagabbahey said:
The two answers are equivalent, just with different constants of integration. Remember, [itex]\ln(4x+6)=\ln(2)+\ln(2x+3)[/itex], so the additional terms are just constants which can be absorbed into the integration constant.
Oh okay thanks, I didn't think of it like that, are you also referring to the extra 9/4 term that I get?

so both answers are valid?
 
Yes, so the difference between the two is a constant equal to 9/4 + ln(2).