Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the correct way of describing this change - mean or median?

1. Oct 9, 2013 #1
    Hi,

Please see the attached Excel file.

The list shows the old and new values of a set of variables. I am trying to understand what is the best way – average or median - to describe the change the values of the set. I want to describe the true central tendency of the change.

1. I think there are the following four ways I can describe the change in the values of the set . Which one is the most accurate?

a) the average value changed by 0.15% (the mean of the change values shown in Cell E63)
    b) the average value changed by 0.10% (the median of the change values shown in Cell E64)
    c) the average value changed by 0.14% (the difference of Cell D63 and C63)
    d) the average value changed by 0.25% (the difference of Cell D64 and C64)

2. I am ignoring the change values of variables X12 and X39, as these variables did not change. Is that correct?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Certainly not the median of the differences (b).

Both distributions look nice, not too asymmetric and without outliers. I think I would compare the average values. a and c should give the same result here.

Don't ignore them, they are measured values! This could just be by chance, and also a result of your measurement resolution.

4. Oct 10, 2013 #3
    Can you explain why you think B should not be used? Is it because the distribution of change values is not symmetrical?

5. Oct 10, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

I cannot imagine a scenario where the median of the differences would have an advantage over anything else, unless the correlation between your measurement series is much stronger than the correlation within the series (so you have something like 0.10 -> 0.11, 45343.44 -> 45343.45 and similar things, together with some outliers so the mean cannot be used). But then you should not compare the series like that anyway.

6. Oct 11, 2013 #5
    :confused: I am not sure what you are saying here.

I prefer the median over the mean when there are outliers in the data.

Are you talking about auto-correlation here?
    Also, I don't know what you mean by 'measurement series'.

7. Oct 11, 2013 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Right.

It is related to that.
    Columns in your excel file.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook