What is the curl of a electric field?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 49K views
back2square1
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
This should be simple but I know I'm going wrong somewhere and I can't figure out where.
The curl of a electric field is zero,
i.e. [itex]\vec { \nabla } \times \vec { E } = 0[/itex]
Because , no set of charge, regardless of their size and position could ever produce a field whose curl is not zero.

But,
Maxwell's 3rd Equation tells us that,
the curl of a electric field is equal to the negative partial time derivative of magnetic field [itex]\vec {B}[/itex].
i.e. [itex]\vec { \nabla } \times \vec { E } = -\frac { \partial }{ \partial t } \vec { B }[/itex]

So is the curl zero or is it not? If we equate those two equations we get that the time derivative of magnetic field is zero. What's wrong? What am I missing?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
back2square1 said:
The curl of a electric field is zero,
i.e. [itex]\vec { \nabla } \times \vec { E } = 0[/itex]

That should read, "the curl of an electrostatic field is zero," that is, the electric field associated with a set of stationary charges has a curl of zero. In this situation, there is no magnetic field, so ##\partial \vec B / \partial t = 0##.
 
Oh. Thanks. Got it. Sometimes things as simple as this slip off.