What is the difference between electric field and magnetic field

In summary, electric and magnetic fields are two components of the same electromagnetic field. However, they can be differentiated based on their interactions with charged particles. The electric field is caused by stationary charges, while the magnetic field is caused by moving charges. Time-varying electric and magnetic fields can also induce each other. The Lorentz Force equation is important in understanding the difference between the two fields as it explains how they interact with particles.
Lizwi

Physics news on Phys.org

From a special relativistic perspective, nothing--they're just different aspects of the same combined EM field, components that arise from different kinds of currents.

I suspect this isn't the answer that would help you most, though. Perhaps you have a more specific question in mind?

Lizwi said:

[tex]\nabla \circ \vec{E} = \frac{\rho}{\epsilon_{0}}[/tex]
[tex]\nabla \times \vec{E} = -\frac{{\partial}{\vec{B}}}{{\partial}{t}}[/tex]
vs.
[tex]\nabla \circ \vec{B} = 0[/tex]
[tex]\nabla \times \vec{B} = \mu_{0} \vec{J} + \mu_{0} \epsilon_{0} \frac{{\partial}{E}}{{\partial}{t}}[/tex]

heh, sorry, I couldn't resist..

classically electric fields are caused by charge and magnetic fields are caused by moving charges in the static case. and if I have a time-varying E or B field they can induce the other field. And my relative motion with some stationary charge I could see a B field in my frame or an E field depending on the configuration.

Originally Posted by Lizwi View Post

vs.

heh, sorry, I couldn't resist..

This is not the complete story, please include Lorentz Force equation. To make difference
between E and B, it is very important to remember how do they interact with some particle, that is the only way to know about them( E or B).

as sanjib ghosh is getting at. The E field will affect a charged particle at rest by a B field will not cause a charged particle at rest to move.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the force experienced by a charged particle in the presence of other charged particles or electrically charged objects.

2. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a physical quantity that describes the force experienced by a magnet or a moving electric charge in the presence of other magnets or electrically charged objects.

3. How are electric and magnetic fields different?

The main difference between electric and magnetic fields is that electric fields are produced by stationary or moving electric charges, while magnetic fields are produced by moving electric charges or magnetic materials.

4. Can electric and magnetic fields exist separately?

No, electric and magnetic fields are interconnected and cannot exist without each other. A changing electric field will always induce a magnetic field and vice versa.

5. What are some real-life examples of electric and magnetic fields?

An electric field can be observed in everyday situations such as when a balloon sticks to a wall after being rubbed against hair. A magnetic field can be seen in action when using a compass to find directions or when using a fridge magnet to hold a note on a fridge door.