Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the difference between electric field and magnetic field

1. Aug 12, 2012 #1
    What is the difference between electric field and magnetic field

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2012 #2
    Re: Electromagnetisms

From a special relativistic perspective, nothing--they're just different aspects of the same combined EM field, components that arise from different kinds of currents.

I suspect this isn't the answer that would help you most, though. Perhaps you have a more specific question in mind?

4. Aug 12, 2012 #3

[tex]\nabla \circ \vec{E} = \frac{\rho}{\epsilon_{0}}[/tex]
    [tex]\nabla \times \vec{E} = -\frac{{\partial}{\vec{B}}}{{\partial}{t}}[/tex]
    vs.
    [tex]\nabla \circ \vec{B} = 0[/tex]
    [tex]\nabla \times \vec{B} = \mu_{0} \vec{J} + \mu_{0} \epsilon_{0} \frac{{\partial}{E}}{{\partial}{t}}[/tex]

heh, sorry, I couldn't resist..

5. Aug 13, 2012 #4

classically electric fields are caused by charge and magnetic fields are caused by moving charges in the static case. and if I have a time-varying E or B field they can induce the other field. And my relative motion with some stationary charge I could see a B field in my frame or an E field depending on the configuration.

6. Aug 14, 2012 #5

This is not the complete story, please include Lorentz Force equation. To make difference
    between E and B, it is very important to remember how do they interact with some particle, that is the only way to know about them( E or B).

7. Aug 14, 2012 #6

as sanjib ghosh is getting at. The E field will affect a charged particle at rest by a B field will not cause a charged particle at rest to move.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?