1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the difference between inductive coupling and magnetic coupling?

1. Sep 6, 2012 #1
    Hi
    I was learning about wireless power transfer. It is stated that inductive coupling can be use to transfer large amount of power. But efficiency is poor if distance is large. The reccomended solution for this problem is energy transfer through magnetic coupling.
    May I know what is the difference between magnetic and inductive coupling?
    Thanks. :)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2012 #2
    Hello, where did you read this? I was having a hard time trying to think of the difference,
    then found this on Wikipedia:

"In electrical engineering, two conductors are referred to as mutual-inductively coupled or magnetically coupled when they are configured such that change in current flow through one wire induces a voltage across the ends of the other wire through electromagnetic induction."

So they are the same thing. As far as I know you cannot induce a voltage if the magnetic field, usually from a coil/antenna, isn't varying. If I HAD to come up with a difference, interpreting "inductive" as using only coils, then two face to face magnets would be magnetically coupled. One would be turned by a motor, while the other (connected to a generator) would follow. I don't see that working at long distances though :).

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  4. Sep 7, 2012 #3
    Thanks for the reply. :)
    (Actually i have read it in my lecture note. )

5. Sep 7, 2012 #4
    You should note the related term "induced" has a wider meaning.

We talk of

Electrostatically induced voltage

Magnetically induced voltage

Thermally induced voltage

Mechanically induced voltage

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook