What is the direction of the wind based on flag direction

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter TheWonderer1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Direction Wind
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
15 replies · 5K views
TheWonderer1
Messages
88
Reaction score
1
I think it is about 90 degrees off but I never thought about wind direction too much. I guess let's say the wind is coming from the NE and there is nothing behind the flag so it's on a field. I know a windcone is 180 degrees so opposite wind direction.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think a flag would be any different froma windcone? And if it was not 180 degrees off, which of the two directions would it go?
 
TheWonderer1 said:
I think it is about 90 degrees off...

How about directly upwind, like on many sail ship paintings?

ba88118a36c5459f9fd0b485d662fc39.jpg
 
Getting a small flag and blowing on it is also a fairly simple experiment, if you've any doubts.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Nidum
I figured out soon after writing it. It should be 180 degrees and found that this is true in practice.
 
A.T. said:
How about directly upwind, like on many sail ship paintings?

To be fair, sailing ships aren't necessarily pointed directly downwind ( and in fact perform better when they aren't. They can even almost sail into the wind, called tacking. So the picture isn't really impossible by any stretch.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn
boneh3ad said:
To be fair, sailing ships aren't necessarily pointed directly downwind ( and in fact perform better when they aren't. They can even almost sail into the wind, called tacking. So the picture isn't really impossible by any stretch.
That picture is. Note the sails.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn
A.T. said:
That picture is. Note the sails.

filling in different directions LOL
 
davenn said:
filling in different directions LOL
There could be a strong velocity gradient ... :biggrin:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn
A.T. said:
Note the sails.

I wonder if they are using the same wind we are using.
 
Also, I must say that it is not completely clear to me that the flag is flying towards the stern and the sails could very well be at an angle to the ship that is not 90 degrees. Compare to this:
3361341497_78bcf03ea4_b.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: boneh3ad
Orodruin said:
Also, I must say that it is not completely clear to me that the flag is flying towards the stern and the sails could very well be at an angle to the ship that is not 90 degrees. Compare to this:
View attachment 203255

That's a different type of sails. What you mean would look like this on the pirate ship above:

can-stock-photo_csp3961721.jpg


But this is not how that sails are set on the pirate ship image (which was just an example for an error you sometimes see, maybe not the clearest one).
 
Eh, is the suggestion here that on a sail boat it would be different? Went away for a while but in fact, that's why I asked.
 
TheWonderer1 said:
Eh, is the suggestion here that on a sail boat it would be different? Went away for a while but in fact, that's why I asked.
On a sail boat the flag orients down the apparent wind. At the height of the sails (like the big US one above) it's affected by the airflow diverted by the sails.