What is the domain of tan(x/b)?

• Thread starter Nope
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Domain
In summary, the domain for tan(x/b) is all real numbers except odd multiples of b*pi/2. This is because the tangent function is undefined at odd multiples of pi/2, and the graph of tan(x/b) expands away from the y-axis by a factor of b.
Nope

Homework Statement

What is the domain for tan(x/b)?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

tan(x) domain is all real number , except x=[tex]\pi/2[/tex]+n pi nEI
tan(x/b)will be bpi/2+bnpi? Is there any form i can write?
Am i right? Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. You could write D ={ b(π/2 + nπ) | n ε I}

But my teacher said the answer is wrong,
the right answer is bn(pi/2), Can anyone explain it?
Thanks

I think your teacher is wrong. For example, assuming for the moment that b is an integer, if n = 2, 2b*pi/2 = b*pi. tan(2b*pi/2) = tan(b*pi) = 0.

The domain of tan(x) is all reals except odd multiples of pi/2. The tangent function is defined at x = +/-pi, +/-2pi, +/-3pi, etc., but is undefined at x = +/-pi/2, +/-3pi/2, +/-5pi/2.

The graph of y = tan(x/b) is the expansion away from the y-axis of the graph of y = tan(x) by a factor of b, whether or not b is an integer. So tan(x/b) will be undefined at x = +/-b*pi/2, +/-b*3pi/x, +/-b*5pi/x, etc. The domain is all reals except odd multiples of b*pi/2.

Related to What is the domain of tan(x/b)?

1. What is a domain in mathematics?

In mathematics, a domain is the set of all input values for which a function is defined. It is the set of all possible values of the independent variable that can be substituted into the function to produce a valid output.

2. What is the domain of a tangent function?

The domain of a tangent function, tan(x), is all real numbers except the values where the cosine function, cos(x), is equal to zero. This is because the tangent function is undefined when the cosine function is equal to zero, as it would result in division by zero.

3. How do you find the domain of tan(x/b)?

To find the domain of tan(x/b), we need to determine the values of x that would make the denominator, b, equal to zero. This is because the tangent function is undefined when the denominator is equal to zero. Therefore, the domain is all real numbers except the values of x that make b equal to zero.

4. Can the domain of tan(x/b) be negative numbers?

Yes, the domain of tan(x/b) can include negative numbers. As long as the value of x does not make the denominator, b, equal to zero, the tangent function is defined for both positive and negative values of x.

5. What is the domain of tan(x/b) if b is equal to zero?

If b is equal to zero, the denominator of tan(x/b) would be zero, causing the tangent function to be undefined. Therefore, the domain would be all real numbers except for x=0.