What is the effect of a Laser on gravity

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter alaa_nasef
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Gravity Laser
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 12K views
alaa_nasef
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi everyone,
I have this topic ,and I searched all over the internet without any results
what is the affect of Laser Beam on cancelling the Gravity or reducing it
if anyone can refer to a reference that can help me I will appreciate it
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

What kind of an effect are you asking about? Do you mean like laser propulsion of space probes? Or some (tiny) interaction of light with matter?

Also, is this a schoolwork assignment? For what level of class?
 
I think the more appropriate question is
‘What is the effect of gravity on a laser beam?’
Gravity is space time curvature in the presence of mass and energy. You might want to look up the experiment where during a solar eclipse the light of a star spatially located directly behind the line of sight to the sun from earth, could still be seen because of its curved path around the mass energy of the sun. In a lesser sense, however, a. Laser does affect gravity a wee wee bit because it’s energy curves space time an o so small amount. I wouldn’t count on a laser pulse as being some sort of anti gravity wave, though.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn, anorlunda and berkeman
In GR an ultra high energy laser beam would indeed produce spacetime curvature. These are the so called pp-wave spacetimes. Unfortunately, I don’t know much more than their name.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: PhanthomJay