What Is the Electric Field Inside a Solenoid with Time-Varying Current?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 5K views
VVS
Messages
85
Reaction score
0
Hello,

I am trying to find out the electric field inside a solenoid if a time varying current is passed through.
However I am stuck with these partial differential equations.
View attachment Electric field solenoid.pdf
Somehow I can't solve them and I think something is wrong.
Because according to equation (13) the electric field will vary with frequency sigma/epsilon.
However when looking at equation (11) the electric field must be varying with the frequency of the magnetic field, which is arbitrary.
I am really confused.
Does anybody know the answer?

thanks
VVS
 
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Your picture doesn't appear, if you check the picture you uploaded is there than I can be sure to help out
 
SteliosVas said:
Your picture doesn't appear, if you check the picture you uploaded is there than I can be sure to help out

there is no pic ... it's a link to a PDF file to open and it works OK :)


Dave
 
VVS said:
So does nobody have an answer to my question?



Since you have a time varying current, the electromagnetic field created by the solenoid varies with time. The electromagnetic 'news' travels at the speed of light though. You use the quasi-static approximation
 
If the solenoid is wound with a perfect conductor, and in free space,
then the ratio of the electric field to the magnetic field will be the intrinsic impedance of free space.
Zfs= 4*10-7 * Pi * c = 376.73 ohm