What is the electrodynamic action and its energy-momentum tensor?

In summary, there is controversy surrounding the action for electrodynamics and its corresponding stress-energy tensor. Some authors have proposed alternative actions to address the inconsistencies found in the usual action, but there is no clear systematic procedure to obtain the correct stress-energy tensor. The variations of alternative actions with respect to the metric tensor have not yielded compatible stress-energy tensors with the equations of motion. The question of whether there exists a well-defined and consistent action for electrodynamics remains open.
juanrga
I have studied Jackson, Landau, and Barut textbooks on electrodynamics, together with Weinberg's Gravitation and Cosmology textbook, and I find that the usual action

[itex]S = S_f + S_m + S_{mf}[/itex]

is inconsistent and not well-defined. For instance, what is the meaning of [itex]S_f[/itex]? A free-field term? Or an interacting-field term that diverges?

Moreover, the derivations of the energy-momentum tensors from the above action seem ad-hoc. For instance, Landau & Lifgarbagez just claim that during the derivation one must assume that the particles are non-interacting! That is, one must ignore the [itex]S_{mf}[/itex] term.

All of this mess is confirmed by papers as that by Feynman & Wheeler [1] and by Chubykalo & Smirnov-Rueda [2] where alternative actions are proposed to correct the deficiencies. However, I find still difficulties with those actions and no systematic procedure to get the corresponding energy-momentum tensors.

Does exist some well-defined and consistent action for electrodynamics leading to a well-defined and physically correct energy-momentum tensor?

[1] Rev. Mod. Phys. 1949: 21(3), 425.
[2] Phys. Rev. E 1996: 53(5), 5373. [Erratum] Phys. Rev. E 1997: 55(3), 3793.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if I completely understand your confusion (or your notation) but the EM (no matter) action is [itex]S = \int d^4x\sqrt{|g|}\mathcal{L}=\int d^4x\sqrt{|g|}F_{\mu\nu}F^{\mu\nu}=\int d^4x\sqrt{|g|}g^{\alpha\mu}g^{\beta\nu}F_{\mu\nu}F_{\alpha\beta}[/itex] This is the correct action because you can show that by varying it with respect to the EM vector potential you get the free EM field equations.
To get the stress-energy tensor you just vary the action with respect to the metric tensor. This is the general procedure for finding the stress-energy tensor.

I hope this answered your question!

Thanks. I am using the notation in Landau & Lifgarbagez textbook on electrodynamics (see also [2]).

It is easy to obtain the stress-energy tensor for a free field from the action [itex]S_f[/itex] for a free field. The problems start when considering the whole action [itex]S = S_f + S_m + S_{mf}[/itex] on my first message.

No strange that several authors [1,2] substitute the classical electrodynamics action [itex]S = S_f + S_m + S_{mf}[/itex] by other actions. For example, the field term that you wrote does not exist in the Feynman & Wheeler action [1].

However, as said above, I find still difficulties with those actions and no systematic procedure to get the corresponding energy-momentum tensors.

For instance, the variations of the actions in [1,2] with respect to the metric tensor do not give stress-energy tensors compatible with the equations of motion.

My question remains open!

Last edited:

1. What is electrodynamic action?

Electrodynamic action is the term used to describe the interaction between electrically charged particles and electromagnetic fields. It involves the exchange of energy and momentum between the particles and the fields.

2. What is the energy-momentum tensor in electrodynamic action?

The energy-momentum tensor is a mathematical quantity used to describe the distribution of energy and momentum in a system. In the context of electrodynamic action, it represents the energy and momentum of the electromagnetic fields and their interaction with charged particles.

3. How is the energy-momentum tensor calculated in electrodynamic action?

The energy-momentum tensor is calculated using Maxwell's equations, which describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields, and the Lorentz force law, which describes the interaction between charged particles and electromagnetic fields.

4. What is the significance of the energy-momentum tensor in electrodynamic action?

The energy-momentum tensor is significant because it allows us to understand and quantify the exchange of energy and momentum between charged particles and electromagnetic fields. This is important in various fields of physics, such as electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and relativity.

5. How does the energy-momentum tensor relate to conservation laws in electrodynamic action?

The energy-momentum tensor is closely related to the conservation laws of energy and momentum in electrodynamic action. In fact, the energy-momentum tensor is conserved itself, meaning that the total amount of energy and momentum in a system will remain constant over time, as long as no external forces are acting on the system.