What is the electrostatic field?

In summary: What comprises the electrostatic field? Electrostatic field is a form of electromagnetic field, which is produced by the acceleration of charges. The quanta of this field are called virtual photons, which are a mathematical concept used in calculations but do not have a physical presence. Virtual photons have all possible frequencies and distances from the charges, but due to the uncertainty principle, they cannot be detected. However, their existence is indirectly confirmed by the Casimir effect. The electrostatic field is not truly static, but has small variations over an infinite frequency range, which creates the electrostatic force. This concept falls under the realm of quantum physics rather than classical physics.
wuliwong
What comprises the electrostatic field? Electromagnetic radiation is made of photons, but what about the electrostatic field? Two static charges exert forces on one another, through their E-fields, presumably through photon exchanges. I am having trouble forming an idea of what an electrostatic field is, particular with respect to photons. One question I keep asking myself is "what are the frequencies" of the photons in the exchange between static charges. Hopefully I'm just being dumb and overlooking the simple explanation. I've always thought of QED as the 'quantum theory of light,' but the 'D' in QED makes me think it doesn't deal with this situation. I know very little about QED, btw.

This question is a mixture of classical and quantum which maybe where some misunderstandings are coming from. I had to pick one of the forums, so I picked classical. I guess I'm asking about the quantum nature of a field which I usually think of classically.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi wuliwong! :smile:
wuliwong said:
What comprises the electrostatic field? Electromagnetic radiation is made of photons, but what about the electrostatic field? Two static charges exert forces on one another, through their E-fields, presumably through photon exchanges. I am having trouble forming an idea of what an electrostatic field is, particular with respect to photons. One question I keep asking myself is "what are the frequencies" of the photons in the exchange between static charges.

the electrostatic field is just one form of electromagnetic field

the electromagnetic field is not "made of photons", it is made of itself

the "photons in the exchange between static charges" are the so-called "virtual photons" which are basically a mathematical trick which helps in the calculations: they exist in the maths (with, incidentally, all possible frequencies and at all possible distances from the charges, both in space and time), but not in the physics :wink:

Maybe I'm being sloppy with my terminology. I'm quite certain that it is accurate to say that the quanta of electromagnetic radiation are photons. And electromagnetic radiation is the electromagnetic field produced by accelerating charges. So it seems then that the quanta of the electromagnetic field are photons.

I'd love to hear more about these 'virtual photons.' Does a charged particle only emit virtual photons when there is another charged particle around to 'receive' them? Or, is a static charge constantly emitting virtual photons, similar to an accelerating charge emitting 'real' photons.

tiny-tim said:

the electrostatic field is just one form of electromagnetic field

the electromagnetic field is not "made of photons", it is made of itself

the "photons in the exchange between static charges" are the so-called "virtual photons" which are basically a mathematical trick which helps in the calculations: they exist in the maths (with, incidentally, all possible frequencies and at all possible distances from the charges, both in space and time), but not in the physics :wink:

tiny-tim said:

Virtual photons have to exist , otherwise who is the carrier of the electrostatic force??. The force is real. We just can't detect em by the way we detect normal photons for some reason (because they don't exist as an asymptotic state, never fully understood this).

Delta² said:
Virtual photons have to exist , otherwise who is the carrier of the electrostatic force??.

The field carries the force :smile:

do you say the field is isn't real??. :wink:

tiny-tim said:
The field carries the force :smile:

do you say the field is isn't real??. :wink:

Thats in classical physics. In quantum physics force carriers have to be particles.

Thanks guys. I'll continue reading about virtual photons. Any more questions related to this will probably be posted in the Quantum forum.

Hi,

I liked your question Wulywong.
I will ask for tiny-tim. Ok the fields are the "force carriers". Forces make work which is energy that the field gives to the particle (for example). From where this energy come? I never heard about a field that stopped acting on particles.

The way I understood it, virtual photons are the manifestation of a localized spike in the EM field. The way it was explained to me was like water in the ocean; there are real waves and then there are small "waves" that are small displacements from the ocean's average level. These small "waves" aren't "real" because where you have a small peak, there is another place near it with a valley. In a given area, the net energy is zero, so they aren't "real"

Due to the uncertainty principle, these virtual photons don't have enough energy or live long enough to be detected due to[tex]\Delta E * \Delta t \geq h / 4 \pi[/tex]. However, the Casimir effect indirectly confirms their existence.

timthereaper said:
The way I understood it, virtual photons are the manifestation of a localized spike in the EM field. The way it was explained to me was like water in the ocean; there are real waves and then there are small "waves" that are small displacements from the ocean's average level. These small "waves" aren't "real" because where you have a small peak, there is another place near it with a valley. In a given area, the net energy is zero, so they aren't "real"

Due to the uncertainty principle, these virtual photons don't have enough energy or live long enough to be detected due to[tex]\Delta E * \Delta t \geq h / 4 \pi[/tex]. However, the Casimir effect indirectly confirms their existence.

So you mean that electrostatic field is not in reality static but it has some very small variation with time? How these small variations create a not so small electrostatic force then? Because they happen over an infinite frequency range?

This thread got me searching others about virtual particles. I've found the user 'tom.stoer' to have the most lucid take on the subject. It seems that virtual photons only show up if you approach the problem using perturbation theory. If you use the approach in

Quantum Mechanics of Gauge Fixing
Lenz F., Naus H. W. L., Ohta K. and Thies M.
Annals of Physics
Volume 233, Issue 1, July 1994, Pages 17-50

then you wind up with a theory which does not contain virtual photons. Therefore, virtual photons are something which exists only in a certain mathematical treatment and are not something fundamental to the electrostatic field.

Tom also has a nice explanation here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3022200&postcount=96

tiny-tim said:

I'm not a physicist, but I read somewhere that effects such as lamb shift, Casimir effect and Z boson mass can be fully explained only if virtual particles are "real".

Hi GT1! :smile:
GT1 said:
I'm not a physicist, but I read somewhere that effects such as lamb shift, Casimir effect and Z boson mass can be fully explained only if virtual particles are "real".

I've never heard of that for Lamb shift or Z boson mass, but there certainly are places where you can read that about the Casimir effect.

That doesn't make it true.

(And there are also plenty of places where you can read the exact opposite. :wink:)

1. What is the electrostatic field?

The electrostatic field, also known as the electric field, is a physical field that exists around charged particles. It describes the force that a charged particle would experience if it were placed at a specific point in space. The strength of the field is determined by the magnitude and direction of the charges present.

2. How is the electrostatic field different from the magnetic field?

The electrostatic field is created by stationary electric charges, while the magnetic field is created by moving electric charges. Additionally, the electrostatic field is associated with the force between electric charges, while the magnetic field is associated with the force between moving electric charges.

3. What is the unit of measurement for the electrostatic field?

The unit of measurement for the electrostatic field is newtons per coulomb, or N/C. This unit represents the force that one coulomb of charge would experience in the field.

4. How is the electrostatic field calculated?

The electrostatic field at a specific point in space is calculated by dividing the force on a test charge by the magnitude of the test charge. This can be represented by the equation E = F/q, where E is the electric field, F is the force, and q is the test charge.

5. What are some real-world applications of the electrostatic field?

The electrostatic field has many practical applications, including in electronic devices, such as capacitors and semiconductors. It is also used in air purification systems, inkjet printers, and electrostatic precipitators for removing pollutants from exhaust gases. Additionally, the electrostatic field is used in medical devices, such as defibrillators and electrocardiograms, to monitor and regulate the electrical activity of the heart.