What is the energy stored in a taser? Can you se 0.5*C*V^2?

• Thread starter tsuwal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, a taser works by using high voltage pump circuits, rather than storing energy on capacitors. It uses a voltage of 5kV and is supplied by a 9V battery. The battery can be used about 50 times and supplies approximately 100 C of energy each time. However, the output current is only a few mA to avoid causing harm to the person. When shorted, the taser does not have enough energy to cause painful heating and the pain is instead caused by electric interference with the nerves.
tsuwal
How does a taser work? If it is a bunch os condensers that discharche, the energy would released would be 0.5*C*V^2. I'm asking this because I say in a movie a taser being discharged metal necklace. The necklace would have short-circuited and warmed a lot, right? Probably making a severe burn or something. What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
By condenser, do you mean a capacitor?
And I believe the energy is stored in batteries which charge capacitors in the taser.
As for the metal necklace heating up, I don't think a taser can supply much sustained current, as I believe most are designed to "pulse" in a certain way that interferes with the brains ability to communicate with muscles, thus incapacitating the victim while they are being tased.

tsuwal said:
How does a taser work? If it is a bunch os condensers that discharche, the energy would released would be 0.5*C*V^2. I'm asking this because I say in a movie a taser being discharged metal necklace. The necklace would have short-circuited and warmed a lot, right? Probably making a severe burn or something. What do you think?

If you use Google Images to search for Taser Gun Circuit, you can see what the basic circuits are. They are high voltage pump circuits, and don't rely much on storing energy on capacitors.

I don't know what happens when you short the output of a Taser, but probably not much. It would likely go into current limit, and not deliver much power. Don't believe everything you see in the movies! :smile:

EDIT -- Beat out by the space fighter jockey!

**Errata: yes, i meant capacitors.

I've seen that it uses a voltage of 80.000 V and is supplied by a battery of 9 V. The battery can be used 50 times, so assuming the battery has a capacity of 2000 mAh, iy supplies about 100 C each time. 100 C * 80 000 V = 8 MJ ?! This value is very high, but even assuming that it is a pulse and not DC, say, 1000 less, its still 8 kJ!

How are you arriving at the 100 C? That's a LOT of current. The equivalent of 100 amps over 1 second, a number which seems absurdly high.

Drakkith said:
How are you arriving at the 100 C? That's a LOT of current. The equivalent of 100 amps over 1 second, a number which seems absurdly high.

Agreed. I doubt if the output current is more than a few mA at [STRIKE]80kV[/STRIKE] 5kV. Don't want to kill the person, after all.

Last edited:
tsuwal said:
**Errata: yes, i meant capacitors.

I've seen that it uses a voltage of 80.000 V

Where did you read this. I checked the TASER website, and they say it is 5kV...

http://www.taser.com/research-and-safety/how-a-taser-works

Last edited by a moderator:
You are correct when you say that covering yourself with tin foil will protect you from a taser by creating a short. The charge will then be transferred through the operator but not in manner that would harm the operator.

[STRIKE]When shorted, [/STRIKE]there isn't enough energy to cause painful heating. The pain is caused by electric interference with the nerves.

Last edited:

1. What is a taser and how does it work?

A taser is a type of electroshock weapon that uses electrical currents to disrupt muscle function and temporarily incapacitate a person. The electrical current is delivered through two metal probes that are shot out of the device and into the target's body, causing neuromuscular incapacitation.

2. How is energy stored in a taser?

Tasers typically use a battery pack to store energy. The battery powers a circuit in the taser, which transforms the electrical energy into a high-voltage, low-amperage current that is delivered to the target.

3. What is the formula for calculating the energy stored in a taser?

The formula for calculating the energy stored in a taser is E = 0.5 * C * V^2, where E is the energy in joules, C is the capacitance of the taser's capacitor in farads, and V is the voltage across the capacitor in volts.

4. Can you explain the components of the energy storage system in a taser?

The energy storage system in a taser consists of a battery, a transformer, and a capacitor. The battery provides the initial energy to the circuit, while the transformer increases the voltage to a high level. The capacitor then stores the energy until it is released through the probes.

5. Is it safe to handle a taser's energy storage system?

No, it is not safe to handle a taser's energy storage system unless you are a trained professional. The high voltage and amperage can be dangerous and potentially lethal. It is important to follow proper safety precautions and never tamper with a taser's internal components.