What is the entropy if you have a spray can with 30psi?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter nosson77
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Entropy Spray
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
nosson77
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I am asking this question because I am trying to understand what entropy is and I just can't seem to get it clear.

Now I think the asnwer is 0.5.
The pressure of the can is 30.
the Atmospheric pressure is around 15.
You divide the pressure in the can by the atmospheric pressure and you have the entropy.

So first question is, is that right?
Second question is what is the system?
Is the system the can or the can and the atmospheric pressure or just the atmosheric pressure?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
nosson77 said:
I am asking this question because I am trying to understand what entropy is and I just can't seem to get it clear.

Now I think the answer is 0.5.
The pressure of the can is 30.
the Atmospheric pressure is around 15.
You divide the pressure in the can by the atmospheric pressure and you have the entropy.

So first question is, is that right?
Second question is what is the system?
Is the system the can or the can and the atmospheric pressure or just the atmosheric pressure?
...No. I don't know where you got the idea that entropy is the quotient of two pressures. And, even then, [itex]\frac{30}{15} = 2 \neq 0.5[/itex].

Entropy is a measure of disorder and randomness in a system. It can be calculated using the Gibbs entropy formula, [itex]S = -k_{B} \displaystyle\sum_{i} p_{i}\ln{p_{i}}[/itex], where S denotes entropy, and [itex]k_{B}[/itex] is the Boltzmann constant. One could also use [itex]S = k_{B} \ lnΩ[/itex], where Ω denotes the number of microstates consistent with the given macrostate.