What is the estimated battery life?

In summary: O.In summary, the electric motor has an input power rating of 17.5kW and operates at a voltage of 48V. The battery has a capacity of 7.5kW/h and the average power needed to maintain the motor is 1446.7W. Using the equation W=I*V, we can calculate that the current required for the motor is 364.58A. Additionally, the battery is initially able to provide 2.7 x 10^7 Joules of energy. To determine how long the battery will last, we need to consider the average power supplied by the battery, which is given by the equation M*V^2*fr=W. With the given values
Pete789

Homework Statement

Electric motor in put power rating is 17.5kw
Voltage is 48V
Battery is 7.5kw/h
Average W needed to maintain motor per sec is 1446.7W

Homework Equations

Motor: W=I*V > I = 364.58Amps

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt: If 1kw = 3.6 x10^6J > 7.5 * 3.6 x 10^6 = 2.7 x10^7
Then the battery is 2.7 x10^7 Jouls

I can't go any further than this. Can anyone help please?

P789

Physics news on Phys.org
Pete789 said:

Homework Statement

Electric motor in put power rating is 17.5kw
Voltage is 48V
Battery is 7.5kw/h
Average W needed to maintain motor per sec is 1446.7W

Homework Equations

Motor: W=I*V > I = 364.58Amps

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt: If 1kw = 3.6 x10^6J > 7.5 * 3.6 x 10^6 = 2.7 x10^7
Then the battery is 2.7 x10^7 Jouls

I can't go any further than this. Can anyone help please?

P789

Batteries are rated in Amp*hours, or in this case in kW*h (not kW/h). Power multiplied by time is energy, and the battery initially holds some amount of energy.

So to work problems like this, you are given the average power supplied to the load, and asked how long the battery will last...

Thanks Berkeman, However, the only other information my teacher gave me was
The average power required to maintain the battery = M*V^2*fr = W
M= 176kg
V=13.8ms
Fr=energy usage fraction= 12%

Any ideas?
P789

Ok this is my answer.
Aver E = 170kg*8.3^2*0.12=1405.35w or 1.405kw
The Battery has 7.5kwh so 1.405/7.5= 5.3 hrs of use

Thanks Peter

Based on the given information, the estimated battery life can be calculated by dividing the battery's energy capacity (7.5kW/h) by the average power needed to maintain the motor per second (1446.7W). This will give us the number of hours that the battery can last.

7.5kW/h / 1446.7W = 5.19 hours

Therefore, the estimated battery life is approximately 5.19 hours. However, this is just an estimate and the actual battery life may vary depending on factors such as the efficiency of the motor and any external factors that may affect the battery's performance.

1. What factors affect the estimated battery life?

The estimated battery life is affected by several factors such as the type and quality of the battery, the device's usage and settings, and the external environment in which the device is used.

2. How accurate is the estimated battery life?

The estimated battery life is usually an approximation and can vary based on the factors mentioned above. It is important to note that the estimated battery life may also change over time as the battery ages.

3. Can the estimated battery life be improved?

Yes, the estimated battery life can be improved by optimizing the device's settings, such as reducing the screen brightness, turning off unused features, and using battery-saving modes. Regular maintenance of the battery, such as avoiding extreme temperatures and properly charging and discharging the battery, can also help improve its performance.

4. What is the best way to prolong the estimated battery life?

The best way to prolong the estimated battery life is to follow the manufacturer's recommendations for charging and using the device. It is also important to avoid overcharging the battery and to use it until it is completely drained before recharging.

5. How can I check the estimated battery life of my device?

The estimated battery life can usually be found in the device's settings or by hovering over the battery icon. Many devices also have a battery health feature that shows the current health and estimated battery life of the device's battery.