What is the final speed of a mass collision?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the final speed of a combined object using the equation Vf = Vi(m1-m2)/(m1+m2), with the additional information that m2=5*m1. The participants also clarify that m1 is 100 grams and m2 is 500 grams.
ola_12
Homework Statement
two objects, each moving with the same speed but opposite directions, collide head on. after collision smaller object of mass
= 100g embedded in large object mass= 500g. What is the final speed of the combined object in terms of initial speed of the two objects?
Relevant Equations
conservation of momentum
I am stuck, please help. I did the conservation part but then i can't move on.

Physics news on Phys.org
ola_12 said:
I am stuck, please help. I did the conservation part but then i can't move on.
Please show this part you've done.

m1Vi1 + m2Vi2 = m1Vf2 + m2Vf2
Vf = Vi(m1-m2) / (m1+m2)
this is how i interpreted it, I'm not sure if I'm on the right track or not.

Looks good! Now you can reduce the equation by using the fact that m2 is equal to 5*m1.

ola_12 said:
m1Vi1 + m2Vi2 = m1Vf2 + m2Vf2
Vf = Vi(m1-m2) / (m1+m2)
this is how i interpreted it, I'm not sure if I'm on the right track or not.
Yes, that will give the speed of the combined object assuming that m1 > m2 .

No, I think you've lost me guys, I'm not sure I'm getting what y'all mean about m2 = 5*m1. what about the initial velocity that we don't have? Cause when i substitute m2 I still can't get Vf.

ola_12 said:
No, I think you've lost me guys, I'm not sure I'm getting what y'all mean about m2 = 5*m1. what about the initial velocity that we don't have? Cause when i substitute m2 I still can't get Vf.
The smaller mass m1 is 100 grams while the larger mass m2 is 500 grams. This means that m2=5*m1. We can use this fact to place it in the equation that you found earlier to find the final speed Vf in terms of the initial speed Vi.

oh I see now, thank you everyone :)

Likes jcloo

Related to What is the final speed of a mass collision?

What is the final speed of a mass collision?

The final speed of a mass collision is the velocity at which two objects move after colliding. It is calculated by dividing the total momentum of the objects by their combined mass.

How is the final speed of a mass collision calculated?

The final speed of a mass collision can be calculated using the equation v = (m1u1 + m2u2)/(m1 + m2), where v is the final speed, m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects, and u1 and u2 are their initial velocities.

What factors can affect the final speed of a mass collision?

The final speed of a mass collision can be affected by the masses of the objects, their initial velocities, and the angle at which they collide. Other factors such as friction and external forces may also play a role.

Is the final speed of a mass collision always the same?

No, the final speed of a mass collision can vary depending on the initial conditions of the objects involved. In perfectly elastic collisions, the final speed will be different from inelastic collisions.

Why is it important to calculate the final speed of a mass collision?

Calculating the final speed of a mass collision allows us to understand the outcome of the collision and predict the behavior of objects after impact. This information is crucial in fields such as engineering, physics, and safety testing.