What is the final speed of a mass collision?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
ola_12
Messages
4
Reaction score
1
Homework Statement
two objects, each moving with the same speed but opposite directions, collide head on. after collision smaller object of mass
= 100g embedded in large object mass= 500g. What is the final speed of the combined object in terms of initial speed of the two objects?
Relevant Equations
conservation of momentum
I am stuck, please help. I did the conservation part but then i can't move on.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
m1Vi1 + m2Vi2 = m1Vf2 + m2Vf2
Vf = Vi(m1-m2) / (m1+m2)
this is how i interpreted it, I'm not sure if I'm on the right track or not.
 
Looks good! Now you can reduce the equation by using the fact that m2 is equal to 5*m1.
 
ola_12 said:
m1Vi1 + m2Vi2 = m1Vf2 + m2Vf2
Vf = Vi(m1-m2) / (m1+m2)
this is how i interpreted it, I'm not sure if I'm on the right track or not.
Yes, that will give the speed of the combined object assuming that m1 > m2 .
 
No, I think you've lost me guys, I'm not sure I'm getting what y'all mean about m2 = 5*m1. what about the initial velocity that we don't have? Cause when i substitute m2 I still can't get Vf.
 
ola_12 said:
No, I think you've lost me guys, I'm not sure I'm getting what y'all mean about m2 = 5*m1. what about the initial velocity that we don't have? Cause when i substitute m2 I still can't get Vf.
The smaller mass m1 is 100 grams while the larger mass m2 is 500 grams. This means that m2=5*m1. We can use this fact to place it in the equation that you found earlier to find the final speed Vf in terms of the initial speed Vi.
 
oh I see now, thank you everyone :)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jcloo