What is the flow rate through a tapered tube?

In summary, the question concerns the flow rate of water through a tapered tube with varying cross-sectional areas at each end. It is determined that the flow rate is dependent on the cross-sectional area, and that a narrower cross section results in a higher velocity and lower pressure, while a larger cross section results in a lower velocity and higher pressure. The velocity of the flow decreases as the cross-sectional area increases, and increases as the cross-sectional area decreases. Additionally, it is noted that fluids accelerate from higher pressure zones to lower pressure zones, and that the pressure differentials within the water cause the acceleration.
zeralda21

Homework Statement

Water flows through a tapered tube. At one end of the tube, where the diameter is 20 mm, water flows in at a rate of 1.0 liter / s. At the other end, where the water flows out, the diameter is 15 mm. How large is the flow at that end?

Homework Equations

No equations needed.

The Attempt at a Solution

What I am trying to understand in this question is if the flow rate is dependent on the cross-sectional area or not. With these kind of questions I always find it interesting to study extreme values.

If I imagine a tube where one side has a very large cross-sectional area at one end while at the other end, the cross-sectional area is infinitesimal. Will the flow rate be the same? It sounds likely tough the pressure(F/A) will increase due to a lower cross-sectional area.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mass flow is constant everywhere in the tube (otherwise mass would be accumulating), and you can assume that water is incompressable, which would mean volume flow is also constant.

Sounds OK to me. In the imagination above, is it correct that the pressure will vary if the cross-sectional area throughout the tube varies?

zeralda21 said:
Sounds OK to me. In the imagination above, is it correct that the pressure will vary if the cross-sectional area throughout the tube varies?
Yes, but the problem only asks for the velocity of the flow. If the volume of flow is constant, then what happens to the velocity of the flow if the cross-sectional area changes?

rcgldr said:
Yes, but the problem only asks for the velocity of the flow. If the volume of flow is constant, then what happens to the velocity of the flow if the cross-sectional area changes?

I believe that if the cross-sectional area increases then the velocity of the flow will reduce. And if the cross-sectional area decreases then the velocity of the flow will increase, due to a higher pressure. That is what my intuition says. Is that correct?

A narrower cross section will result in a higher velocity and a lower pressure. This is because the molecules of the fluid have lass time to impart force against the pipe as they flow past.

zeralda21 said:
I believe that if the cross-sectional area increases then the velocity of the flow will reduce. And if the cross-sectional area decreases then the velocity of the flow will increase, due to a higher pressure.
Fluids accelerate from higher pressure zones to lower pressure zones. Assuming no external forces are involved (including friction from the pipe), then acceleration of the water is due to pressure differentials within the water. If the water accelerates from a lower velocity to a higher velocity, then happens with the pressure during the transition (during acceleration)?

What is the flow rate through a tapered tube?

The flow rate through a tapered tube refers to the volume of fluid that passes through the tube in a given amount of time. It is typically measured in units of volume per unit time, such as liters per second or cubic meters per hour.

How is the flow rate through a tapered tube calculated?

The flow rate through a tapered tube is calculated using the equation Q = (πr^4ΔP)/8ηL, where Q is the flow rate, r is the radius of the tube, ΔP is the pressure difference between the two ends of the tube, η is the fluid's viscosity, and L is the length of the tube. This equation is known as the Hagen-Poiseuille equation.

What factors can affect the flow rate through a tapered tube?

The flow rate through a tapered tube can be affected by various factors such as the diameter of the tube, the length of the tube, the viscosity of the fluid, and the pressure difference between the two ends of the tube. Other factors that can impact the flow rate include the surface roughness of the tube and the temperature of the fluid.

Why does the flow rate change in a tapered tube?

The flow rate through a tapered tube changes because the cross-sectional area of the tube changes. As the tube narrows, the fluid must flow faster to maintain a constant volume flow rate. As a result, the velocity of the fluid increases, and the pressure decreases, causing a change in the flow rate.

How can the flow rate through a tapered tube be controlled?

The flow rate through a tapered tube can be controlled by adjusting the pressure difference between the two ends of the tube or by changing the viscosity of the fluid. Additionally, using a valve or pump at one end of the tube can regulate the flow rate by adjusting the pressure or flow rate of the fluid entering the tube.