Calculate Flow Rate: Find Water Velocity & Qty Collected

In summary, the task at hand is to calculate the flow rate of a setup involving a bottle with water on a lab stand, rubber tubing, and a needle inserted into the tubing to collect water in a beaker for 30 seconds. The velocity of the water is calculated to be 115 inches per second based on the given height and gravitational acceleration. Using the formula for flow rate, the area and velocity are multiplied to determine the flow rate of the water, which is approximately 0.02 inches cubed per second.
physics337

Homework Statement

I am trying to calculate the flow rate of the following setup. A bottle with water (density = 1000 kg/m^3) is on a lab stand, and has rubber tubing at the end of the bottle coming down to the benchtop. The top of the water is 17 inches above the benchtop. You insert a needle (with Inner diameter of 0.015 inches) into the tubing to start collecting water in a beaker for 30 seconds. What is the Flow Rate of the water that is being collected?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Velocity = √(2gh) =√(2*(386)*(17))=115 in/s
Q=Area* Velocity = ∏ (0.015/2)^2 * 115 = .02 in^3 / s

Physics news on Phys.org
physics337 said:

Homework Statement

I am trying to calculate the flow rate of the following setup. A bottle with water (density = 1000 kg/m^3) is on a lab stand, and has rubber tubing at the end of the bottle coming down to the benchtop. The top of the water is 17 inches above the benchtop. You insert a needle (with Inner diameter of 0.015 inches) into the tubing to start collecting water in a beaker for 30 seconds. What is the Flow Rate of the water that is being collected?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Velocity = √(2gh) =√(2*(386)*(17))=115 in/s
Q=Area* Velocity = ∏ (0.015/2)^2 * 115 = .02 in^3 / s

Type your solution properly and with reasoning.

1. How do I calculate the flow rate of water?

To calculate the flow rate of water, you will need to know the volume of water collected and the time it took to collect that volume. The formula for flow rate is: flow rate = volume / time. This will give you the flow rate in units of volume per unit of time (e.g. liters per second).

2. What is the relationship between flow rate and water velocity?

Flow rate and water velocity are directly proportional. This means that as the water velocity increases, the flow rate also increases. Conversely, as the water velocity decreases, the flow rate will also decrease.

3. How can I measure the water velocity?

There are a few different ways to measure water velocity, depending on the specific situation. One common method is to use a flow meter, which measures the velocity of the water as it passes through the meter. Another option is to use a pitot tube, which measures the pressure difference between the static water and the moving water to calculate the velocity.

4. Can I use the same formula to calculate flow rate for different types of fluids?

The formula for flow rate is the same for all fluids, but the units of measurement may differ. For example, if you are calculating the flow rate of a gas, you may use units of volume per unit of time, such as cubic feet per minute. However, if you are calculating the flow rate of a liquid, you may use units of mass per unit of time, such as liters per second.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of my flow rate calculation?

There are a few factors that can affect the accuracy of your flow rate calculation, such as the accuracy of your measurements, any changes in the flow rate during the collection period, and any external factors that may impact the flow of the water (e.g. obstructions or changes in temperature). It is important to take these factors into consideration and make adjustments as needed to ensure the most accurate calculation possible.