What is the force needed to displace 1,000,000 cu. ft. of water?

In summary, the balloon would shrink significantly under pressure and would probably reach a boiling point.
Bird
I was recently asked what would happen to a 1,000,000 cu ft balloon that was filled with are if it was taken down to the Mariana trench. So, I am wondering what the formula would be for finding out how much force it would take to pull the balloon down that far. Also, how strong would the balloon have to be to not pop under such pressure. Thank you in advance. - Josiah

Physics news on Phys.org
What you are looking for is bouyancy. A ship can displace water without any force other than gravity...

Google for bouyancy equations. Sorry I couldn't help more, I have no time.

The weight density of salt water is about 64 pounds per cubic foot. Multiply that by the volume displaced and that's all there is to it.

Bird said:
I was recently asked what would happen to a 1,000,000 cu ft balloon that was filled with are if it was taken down to the Mariana trench. So, I am wondering what the formula would be for finding out how much force it would take to pull the balloon down that far. Also, how strong would the balloon have to be to not pop under such pressure. Thank you in advance. - Josiah

If you assume the baloon is flexible it won't "pop", but it will shrink significantly under the pressure. It would be rather an odd turn of phrase to call a rigid diving bell a "baloon" IMO, so I would tend to assume the baloon would shrink under the pressure.

Assuming constant density, the pressure at a depth d will be rho*g*d, rho being the density of water, g the acceleration of Earth's' gravity, and d the depth.

At 10km, I get approximately 1000 bars (atmospheres) of pressure. If one assumes the ideal gass law, PV=nrT. PV will be constant if one assumes constant temperature, one might also be interested in what would happen if the compression was adiabatic (i.e. if no heat was transferred to or from the baloon). Because the baloon is being compressed, adiabatic compression would mean that the air inside would get hotter. But offhand I'd guess that the temperature of the air inside the baloon couldn't get much above the boiling point of water (dont' know what that is at that depth, though), so it probably wouldn't be adiabatic. So two reasonable assumptions might be to have the final temperature be the boiling point of water at that depth (for a fairly fast descent), or to hvae the final temperature be the water temperature (for a slow descent).

For adiabatiic compression I think the proper equatons are

[tex]
T2/T1 = (V1/V2)^{\gamma -1} = (P2/P1)^{1-1/\gamma}
[/tex]

(you might want to double check this). [tex]\mbox{\gamma}[/tex] is a thermodynamic constant associated with air.

Last edited:
I thought they would have been asking how much the balloon would compress under pressure.

So, how many atmospheres are there at the bottom of the trench? (Google atmospheres depth PSI)
What is the relationship between atmospheres and volume? (Boyle's Law)

1. What is the definition of force?

Force is a physical quantity that is used to describe the strength or energy required to move an object or change its state of motion.

2. How is force measured?

Force is typically measured in units of Newtons (N) in the metric system or pounds (lbs) in the imperial system.

3. How much force is needed to displace 1,000,000 cu. ft. of water?

The force needed to displace 1,000,000 cu. ft. of water depends on several factors such as the density of the water, the acceleration due to gravity, and the speed at which the water is being displaced. In order to accurately calculate this force, more information is needed.

4. Can you provide an estimate of the force needed to displace 1,000,000 cu. ft. of water?

Without knowing the specific circumstances, it is difficult to provide an accurate estimate of the force needed to displace 1,000,000 cu. ft. of water. However, if we assume that the water has a density of 1 g/cm^3 (equivalent to 1,000 kg/m^3) and is being displaced at a constant speed of 1 m/s, then the force needed would be approximately 1,000,000 Newtons or 224,808 pounds.

5. What are some real-world examples of forces that can displace large amounts of water?

Some examples of forces that can displace large amounts of water are waves caused by wind or earthquakes, tides caused by the gravitational pull of the moon and sun, and the force of a ship's propeller pushing water behind it.