1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A What is the formula 1/(dS/dE)>>0 and how does it apply?

1. Feb 19, 2017 #1
    I am only aware that the formula has to do with entropy/thermodynamics. I could really use the help on how it applies in physics and what the formula is really about.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2017 #2

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In that equation, [itex]S[/itex] is the entropy and [itex]E[/itex] is the energy. In thermodynamics, temperature can be defined as:

[itex]\frac{1}{T} = \frac{dS}{dE}[/itex]

So your inequality just says [itex]T \gg 0[/itex]. So the temperature is well above absolute zero.

4. Feb 20, 2017 #3

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That definition of temperature assumes that entropy increases with energy (so [itex]T[/itex] is always positive), which is true for classical thermodynamics, but for systems with a discrete number of states, it's possible for [itex]S[/itex] to decrease with [itex]E[/itex], which leads to the bizarre notion of a negative absolute temperature.

5. Feb 20, 2017 #4
    So the inequality is saying that the temperature is above zero? If so, you talk of the "bizarre notion" of a negative absolute temperature that some people infer, but that is not possible correct?

6. Feb 20, 2017 #5

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The symbol [itex]\gg[/itex] means "much greater than". So the temperature isn't just positive, it's pretty high.

Negative temperatures are not possible in classical thermodynamics, but there are quantum systems where a negative temperature is possible. A negative temperature means that the entropy goes down instead of up when the system gets more energy.

7. Feb 20, 2017 #6
    Alright! Thank you so much you have helped me better understand this and even went deeper into the meaning without making it hard to understand. I really couldn't thank you enough :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted