What is the formula for finding a partial derivative with constant z?

In summary, we are given f(x, y, z) = 0 and asked to find the formula for the partial derivative (\frac{\partial y}{\partial x})_z. Using the given function and the differential of f, we can set dz = 0 and solve for (\frac{\partial y}{\partial x})_z by dividing by dx throughout. The final answer is (\frac{\partial y}{\partial x})_z = -\frac{\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} }{\frac{\partial f}{\partial y} }. However, this notation may be more easily understood by solving for y in terms of x and z using the implicit function theorem.
eprparadox

Homework Statement

Given f(x, y, z) = 0, find the formula for

[tex]
(\frac{\partial y}{\partial x})_z
[/tex]

Homework Equations

Given a function f(x, y, z), the differential of f is
[tex]
df = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}dx + \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}dy + \frac{\partial f}{\partial z}dz
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

We know that f(x, y, z) = 0 so using above, I get
[tex]
df = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}dx + \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}dy + \frac{\partial f}{\partial z}dz
= 0
[/tex]

We also know that we are finding the partial with constant z so I set dz = 0. I then divided by dx throughout and solve for [itex] \frac{\partial y}{\partial x} [/itex].

My final answer is
[tex]
(\frac{\partial y}{\partial x})_z = -\frac{\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} }{\frac{\partial f}{\partial y} }
[/tex]

I just wanted to confirm that I'm doing things correctly in finding this partial derivative.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are right.
I am just a little bit puzzled about the notations.
How to you switch from the ratio dy/dx to the partial derivative.
This should maybe be explained more explicitly.

Hey, thanks for the quick response!

That is a good point about the notation. Do you have any ideas on this? I don't have any good mathematical sense as to why I changed it from dy/dx to a partial derivative.

You are correct. As was alluded to in your other recent thread on a similar problem, a rigorous mathematical justification is the implicit function theorem. You write ##y = y(x,z)##, provided ##\frac{\partial f}{\partial y} \neq 0## and then differentiate both sides of ##f(x,y,z) = 0## with respect to ##x##.

Although, I suppose if you're given f(x, y, z) = 0, then the equation can be solved for y in terms of x and z in which case the partial derivative notation makes sense. Is that a reasonable explanation?

Related to What is the formula for finding a partial derivative with constant z?

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept used in multivariable calculus to measure how a function changes with respect to one of its variables while holding all other variables constant. It provides information about the slope of the function in a specific direction.

2. How do you find a partial derivative?

To find a partial derivative, you must first identify the function that you want to take the derivative of and the variable that you want to differentiate with respect to. Then, you can use the rules of differentiation, such as the power rule or product rule, to find the derivative. However, you must treat all other variables as constants and only differentiate with respect to the chosen variable.

3. Why are partial derivatives important?

Partial derivatives are important because they allow us to analyze the rate of change of a function in multiple directions. This is especially useful in fields such as physics and economics, where many variables are involved and the behavior of a system depends on how each variable changes.

4. What is the difference between a partial derivative and a total derivative?

A partial derivative measures the rate of change of a function with respect to one variable, while holding all other variables constant. A total derivative, on the other hand, measures the overall rate of change of a function with respect to all of its variables. In other words, a total derivative takes into account the effects of all variables, while a partial derivative only considers one variable at a time.

5. Can you give an example of finding a partial derivative?

Yes, for example, let's say we have the function f(x,y) = 3x^2y + 2xy^3. To find the partial derivative of f with respect to x, we treat y as a constant and apply the power rule, which gives us fx(x,y) = 6xy + 2y^3. Similarly, to find the partial derivative with respect to y, we treat x as a constant and apply the power rule, giving us fy(x,y) = 3x^2 + 6xy^2.