What is the gas composition in a tank with a SF6 leak?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Graaf van Vlaanderen
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Gas Tank
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Graaf van Vlaanderen
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
We discovered a leak in a SF6 gas HV circuit breaker. Since we don't know when the leak occurred due to temperature changes I assume there is only air left in the tank.
Here is my question. Suppose I have a tank with a fixed volume filled with air at the same pressure as the atmospheric pressure. When we add SF6 gas up to 0.2bar over pressure, what would then be the percentage of each gas (air and SF6) in the tank?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You have three numbers; what do you calculate from them?
 
Well, I consider T and V constant, hence ntot = n(air) + n(SF6) => ptot = p(atm) + p(SF6)
Hence %SF6 = (0.2/1.2)*100. Not sure this is correct.