What is the General Term for the Summation of x^(-1) from 0 to n?

• Thread starter spectrum123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, a limit in mathematics is a fundamental concept used to describe the behavior of a function as its input approaches a specific value. To solve a limit, the function must be evaluated at the specified point or value. Ʃx^(-1) represents a sum of terms where each term is the reciprocal of x, commonly used in calculus to represent a series or sequence. The value of x=0 in the limit Ʃx^(-1) x=0 to n represents the starting point of the series and is important in determining its convergence or divergence. The value of n in the limit represents the number of terms in the series and can affect the overall behavior of the function.
spectrum123
here is the Q. i want a general term for Ʃx^(-1) for which limits are x from 0 to n
or simply a general term for 1-1+2-1+3-1+4-1+... till n

Physics news on Phys.org
ok thanks but i didn't get the result?

spectrum123 said:
ok thanks but i didn't get the result?

There is no exact expression - it is ≈ ln(n).

The section on Rate of divergence gives a formula for the kth partial sum:
4f1b3c25918c64066f4e69245ada8e56.png

ok now i know its out of my domain... thanks for helping

1. What does the notation "Ʃ" mean in the context of limit solving?

The symbol "Ʃ" represents the summation notation, meaning that the expression following it should be summed up for each value of x from 0 to n.

2. How do I solve for limits using "Ʃx^(-1) x=0 to n"?

To solve for limits using this notation, you can first rewrite it as a series expression: Ʃx^(-1) = 1 + 1/2 + 1/3 + ... + 1/n. Then, you can use known series or integral tests to determine if this series converges or diverges.

3. What is the significance of x=0 to n in this limit notation?

The expression x=0 to n specifies the range of values for x that should be included in the summation. In this case, we are summing up the expression Ʃx^(-1) for all values of x from 0 to n.

4. Can this limit notation be used for any function or only specific ones?

This limit notation can be used for any function, as long as it can be expressed as a series. However, not all functions can be easily transformed into a series, so it may not always be applicable.

5. How do I know if the limit using this notation is finite or infinite?

If the series expression resulting from the summation converges, then the limit will be a finite value. If the series diverges, then the limit will be infinite.