What is the height of the smaller cylinder in this scale factor?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
Gringo123
Messages
141
Reaction score
0
Can someone please tell me if I have done this correctly?

"2 cylinders are similar. The area of the ends of the smaller and larger cylinders are 16cm2 and 100cm2 respectively. The height of the larger cylinder is 12.5cm. Calculate the height of the smaller cylinder."

Firstly, if the scale factor for area is 16:100, am I right in saying that the scale factor to be used when calculating lenthgs would be 4:10?

proceding on that basis, the height of the smaller cylinder = 12.5 x 2 / 5 = 5cm.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Gringo123 said:
Can someone please tell me if I have done this correctly?

"2 cylinders are similar. The area of the ends of the smaller and larger cylinders are 16cm2 and 100cm2 respectively. The height of the larger cylinder is 12.5cm. Calculate the height of the smaller cylinder."

Firstly, if the scale factor for area is 16:100, am I right in saying that the scale factor to be used when calculating lenthgs would be 4:10?

proceding on that basis, the height of the smaller cylinder = 12.5 x 2 / 5 = 5cm.
Looks good to me.