What is the horizontal distance between a tilted conveyer belt and a pipe?

• Thread starter burton95
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Incline
In summary, sand is moving at a velocity of 6.0 m/s down a tilted conveyer at a 15° angle. It enters a pipe 3.0 m below the end of the conveyer belt. To calculate the horizontal distance d between the conveyer belt and the pipe, the equations Yf = Yi + Viy(t) - 1/2g(t)^2 and Xf = Xi + Vix(t) can be used, with the given initial conditions of Xi = 0 m, Ti = 0 s, Viy = 6.0 sin θ, Yi = 3 m, and Vix = 6.0 cos θ. Substituting these values and
burton95

Homework Statement

Sand moves without slipping at 6.0 m/s down a conveyer that is tilted at 15°. The sand enters a pipe 3.0 m below the end of the conveyer belt, as shown in the figure below. What is the horizontal distance d between the conveyer belt and the pipe?

Xi = 0 m
Ti = 0 s
Viy = 6.0 sin θ
Yi = 3 m
Vix = 6.0 cos theta
Xf = ?
Tf = t
Vf =
Yf = 0

Homework Equations

Yf = Yi + Viy(t) - 1/2g(t)2
Xf = Xi + Vix(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

3 + 6.0sin15t -4.9t2

t= .956797

Xf = 0 + 6*cos15*.956797 = 5.54 meters

not it

Physics news on Phys.org
burton95 said:
3 + 6.0sin15t -4.9t2

Did you mean to write an equation here? What is the sign of the initial y-component of velocity?

Hi.

Yf = Yi + Viy(t) - 1/2g(t)2

0 = 3 + 6.0sin15t -4.9t2

the sign on initial velocity is +

burton95 said:
the sign on initial velocity is +

The problem says that the sand moves down the conveyor. So, the y-component of velocity should be down.

I thought that the direction was accounted for in setting Yi = 3 and Yf = 0.

so my proper equation 0 = 3 - 6.0sin15t -4.9t2

That looks good. Note that you took yf =0 and yi = 3 which is correct for taking upward as positive. You also used -9.8 m/s^2 for the acceleration which agrees with taking upward as positive since the acceleration is downward. Likewise, the y component of the initial velocity is downward, so it should be negative when taking upward as positive.

Is this correct
Yi = Yo + Voy (Tf - Ti) - (1/2)(g)(Tf-Ti)^2

Because using -g turns my squared term positive

Nevermind. Thx u were a great help

What is the formula for solving for xf in an incline?

The formula for solving for xf in an incline is xf = xi + d * sin(theta), where xf is the final position, xi is the initial position, d is the distance traveled, and theta is the angle of incline.

How do I calculate the angle of incline?

To calculate the angle of incline, you can use the inverse sine function. First, divide the vertical change by the horizontal change to find the slope. Then, use the inverse sine function to find the angle in radians. Finally, convert the angle to degrees by multiplying it by 180/pi.

What is the difference between a positive and negative angle of incline?

A positive angle of incline indicates an uphill slope, while a negative angle of incline indicates a downhill slope. This difference is important to note when determining the direction of motion on an incline.

Can I solve for xf using only the angle of incline and the initial position?

Yes, you can use the formula xf = xi + d * sin(theta) to solve for xf using only the angle of incline and the initial position. However, you will need to know the distance traveled in order to find the final position.

How can I use incline solving to analyze motion on a ramp or hill?

Incline solving can be used to analyze motion on a ramp or hill by calculating the final position at different angles of incline and determining the change in position. This information can be used to understand the effect of incline on the motion of an object and to make predictions about its future motion.