What is the Integral of a Trigonometric Function with an Indefinite Integral?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
planauts
Messages
86
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



[tex]\int \frac{cos x}{sin^2(x) - sin(x)-6}[/tex]2. The attempt at a solution
I first tried factoring the denominator.
[tex]\int \frac{cos x}{(sin(x) -3)(sin(x)+2)}[/tex]

The first thing that came to my mind was Partial Factoring but I don't think it would work in this case.Thanks in advance!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I would start by substituting u=sin(x) and then worry about the partial fractions in the variable u.
 
Last edited:
Let:
u = sin(x)
du = cos(x) dx

[tex]\int \frac{du}{(u-3)(u+2)}[/tex]

After doing Partial Fractions, I ended up with:
[tex]\frac{1}{5} ln(sinx-3)-\frac{1}{5} ln(sinx+2)[/tex]

Thanks for your help. I think that is the correct answer.
 
planauts said:
Let:
u = sin(x)
du = cos(x) dx

[tex]\int \frac{du}{(u-3)(u+2)}[/tex]

After doing Partial Fractions, I ended up with:
[tex]\frac{1}{5} ln(sinx-3)-\frac{1}{5} ln(sinx+2)[/tex]

Thanks for your help. I think that is the correct answer.

Also note you can factor out a 1/5 and you get:

[tex]\frac{1}{5} ln(\frac{sinx-3}{sinx+2})[/tex]
 
planauts said:
Let:
u = sin(x)
du = cos(x) dx

[tex]\int \frac{du}{(u-3)(u+2)}[/tex]

After doing Partial Fractions, I ended up with:
[tex]\frac{1}{5} ln(sinx-3)-\frac{1}{5} ln(sinx+2)[/tex]

Thanks for your help. I think that is the correct answer.

I'm really sure it's right.
 
Char. Limit said:
Don't forget the +C!

Yes you are right, I would have lost 1/2 a mark on a test.

[tex]\frac{1}{5} ln(sinx-3)-\frac{1}{5} ln(sinx+2) + C[/tex]

OR as gb7nash pointed out
[tex] \frac{1}{5} ln(\frac{sinx-3}{sinx+2} + C)[/tex]

Thanks everyone!