What is the intercept of N when MN is minimal in a parabola y2 = 2px?

In summary, at point N of the parabole, y2 = 2px to the curve at another point M. If MN is the minimal length of the line connecting the points M and N, then the intercept of N with MN is given by: y2 = 2px to the curve at M.
leprofece
the normal at a point N of the parabole: y2 = 2px to the curve at another point M. calculate the intercept of N when the length of MN is minimal.

Answer sqrt (2) p

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: max and min parabole

I would begin be letting point $N$ be \(\displaystyle \left(\frac{y^2}{2p},y\right)\) and point $M$ be \(\displaystyle \left(\frac{u^2}{2p},u\right)\). Now, you know what the slope of the line through $M$ and $N$ has to be since this line is normal to the given parabola at $N$, so this will allow you to express $u$ as a function of $y$ and the parameter $p$.

Then you can construct a function representing the distance (or the square of the distance) between $M$ and $N$ which you can minimize. Once you have the particular $y$ critical $y$-value you can then find the root or $x$-intercept of this line.

Re: max and min parabole

MarkFL said:
I would begin be letting point $N$ be \(\displaystyle \left(\frac{y^2}{2p},y\right)\) and point $M$ be \(\displaystyle \left(\frac{u^2}{2p},u\right)\). Now, you know what the slope of the line through $M$ and $N$ has to be since this line is normal to the given parabola at $N$, so this will allow you to express $u$ as a function of $y$ and the parameter $p$.

Then you can construct a function representing the distance (or the square of the distance) between $M$ and $N$ which you can minimize. Once you have the particular $y$ critical $y$-value you can then find the root or $x$-intercept of this line.

Calculating I got
Slope m = (2p (u-y))/(u2-y2)

Solving para y i must get y = (-2px)/(u + y)

Distance = sqrt ( y2-u2)/2p)2 + (u-y)2)

You are correct in that the slope of the line is:

\(\displaystyle m=\frac{2p}{y+u}\)

(I simplified a bit).

Now, can you use the calculus to come up with another expression for the slope using the fact that the line is normal to the parabola at $N$?

MarkFL said:
You are correct in that the slope of the line is:

\(\displaystyle m=\frac{2p}{y+u}\)

(I simplified a bit).

Now, can you use the calculus to come up with another expression for the slope using the fact that the line is normal to the parabola at $N$?

It must be -(y+u)/2p ??

How can proceed?

No, you need to use differentiation to find the slope of the normal line at $N$. You want to compute:

\(\displaystyle -\frac{dx}{dy}\)

the derivative is
m = 2p/(y+u)2

and normal N = - (y+u)2/2p

You have:

\(\displaystyle x=\frac{y^2}{2p}\)

So, what is \(\displaystyle -\frac{dx}{dy}\)?

MarkFL said:
You have:

\(\displaystyle x=\frac{y^2}{2p}\)

So, what is \(\displaystyle -\frac{dx}{dy}\)?

derivative of x as a function of y
y/p is the derivative

Correct, but you want the negative of this. And now you have two expressions representing the slope of the normal line and you may equate them and get $u$ as a function of $y$. Then continue following the instructions I gave in my first post. :D

MarkFL said:
Correct, but you want the negative of this. And now you have two expressions representing the slope of the normal line and you may equate them and get $u$ as a function of $y$. Then continue following the instructions I gave in my first post. :D

I get $u=\frac{-y}{2p^2}-y$ and the distance squared between $N$ and $M$ to be $y^2(2+\frac{1}{2p^2})^2+\frac{y^4(1+\frac{1}{2p^2})^2-p)^2}{2p^2}$ Is this right and how do you proceed?

I get a different value for $u$...how did you obtain the value you have?

MarkFL said:
I get a different value for $u$...how did you obtain the value you have?

sorry, I now get $u=(2p^2-y^2)/y)$. How do you minimise the length, which is quite a nasty expression?

That is closer to the value I have for $u$, but still different. The resulting expression for the square of the distance $\overline{MN}$, while daunting at first, may be algebraically simplified substantially.

well The distance you have I don't know if it is good but I don't understand where they come from
begining
you wrote y2(1 +1/2p2)2 + or = ?? (y4(1 +1/2p2)2-p2) y2(1 +1/2p2)2
After operating I got y2(1 +1/2p2)2(p2+y2) y2(1 +1/2p2)2/ 2p2

Maybe I am wrong if so, tell me how you got to the u in your last post

I got:

\(\displaystyle u=-\frac{2p^2+y^2}{y}\)

And so the objective function (the square of $\overline{MN}$) is:

\(\displaystyle f(y)=\left(\frac{y^2}{2p}-\frac{\left(\dfrac{2p^2+y^2}{y}\right)^2}{2p}\right)^2+\left(y+\frac{2p^2+y^2}{y}\right)^2\)

After some algebraic simplification, I obtained:

\(\displaystyle f(y)=4\left(\left(\frac{p}{y}\right)^2+1\right)\left(y^2+1\right)\)

Now, I will leave you to verify this, and then minimize the objective function.

MarkFL said:
I got:

\(\displaystyle u=-\frac{2p^2+y^2}{y}\)

And so the objective function (the square of $\overline{MN}$) is:

\(\displaystyle f(y)=\left(\frac{y^2}{2p}-\frac{\dfrac{2p^2+y^2}{y}}{2p}\right)^2+\left(y+\frac{2p^2+y^2}{y}\right)^2\)

After some algebraic simplification, I obtained:

\(\displaystyle f(y)=4\left(\left(\frac{p}{y}\right)^2+1\right)\left(y^2+1\right)\)

Now, I will leave you to verify this, and then minimize the objective function.

After an hour trying to get your answer I was not able to get it
I got y3(y+2)/(4p2) + (y4+4p2)(1+16p2)(42y2])- (y +1 +8y2)

So It is a very difficult algebra

How can I get to f(y)=4((p/y)2+1)(y2+1)
my friend?
Could you please tell me??

Last edited:
This is what I did:

\(\displaystyle f(y)=\left(\frac{y^2}{2p}-\frac{\left(\dfrac{2p^2+y^2}{y}\right)^2}{2p}\right)^2+\left(y+\frac{2p^2+y^2}{y}\right)^2=\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{4p^2}\left(y^2-\frac{4p^4+4p^2y^2+y^4}{y^2}\right)^2+\left(\frac{2p^2+2y^2}{y}\right)^2=\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{4p^2}\left(\frac{4p^4+4p^2y^2}{y^2}\right)^2+4\left(\frac{p^2+y^2}{y}\right)^2=\)

\(\displaystyle 4p^2\left(\frac{p^2+y^2}{y^2}\right)^2+4\left(\frac{p^2+y^2}{y}\right)^2=\)

At this point, I discovered I originally made an error...

\(\displaystyle 4\left(p^2+y^2\right)^2\left(\frac{p^2}{y^4}+\frac{1}{y^2}\right)=\)

\(\displaystyle 4\left(p^2+y^2\right)^2\left(\frac{y^2+p^2}{y^4}\right)=\)

\(\displaystyle 4\left(\left(\frac{p}{y}\right)^2+1\right)\left(p^2+y^2\right)\)

Thanks now I derived this expression and got
8(1+p2)(y-y2+p2)/(y2)
and I equated to 0
and got y2-y-p2 but I didnt get anything

leprofece said:
Thanks now I derived this expression and got
8(1+p2)(y-y2+p2)/(y2)
and I equated to 0
and got y2-y-p2 but I didnt get anything

Well, not knowing what you did, I can't really say where you went wrong. :D

I highly recommend for you to take some time to learn how to use $\LaTeX$ to show your work...plain text is very hard to read for all but the simplest of computations and expressions. This will be a great way for you to help us to help you. (Sun)

I have just derived the expression that we have got before

leprofece said:
I have just derived the expression that we have got before

Until I see what you did, I can't possibly tell you where you went wrong.

Related to What is the intercept of N when MN is minimal in a parabola y2 = 2px?

1. What is a max and min parabola?

A max and min parabola is a type of curved graph that represents a quadratic function. It has a single highest point (maximum) or lowest point (minimum) on the curve, known as the vertex.

2. How do you find the vertex of a max and min parabola?

The vertex of a max and min parabola can be found by using the formula x = -b/2a, where a and b are the coefficients of the quadratic equation. This gives the x-coordinate of the vertex, and the y-coordinate can be found by substituting the x-value into the original equation.

3. What is the difference between a maximum and a minimum on a parabola?

A maximum on a parabola is the highest point on the curve, while a minimum is the lowest point. Mathematically, a maximum has a positive coefficient for the squared term (a>0), while a minimum has a negative coefficient (a<0).

4. Can a max and min parabola have more than one maximum or minimum?

No, a max and min parabola can only have one maximum or minimum. This is because the graph of a quadratic function is a parabola, which has a single curve and therefore can only have one highest or lowest point.

5. How are max and min parabolas used in real life?

Max and min parabolas have many real-life applications, such as in physics to model the trajectory of a projectile, in engineering to design bridges and buildings, and in economics to analyze profit and cost functions. They can also be used in data analysis to identify trends and make predictions.