• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

What is the inverse of this logarithm equation?

Homework Statement

y=-log5(-x)

i tried it and i got y=-5(-x)

hm.. you know how people say that if you want to find the inverse graph of something just switch the x and y coordinates from the table of values? Well i also tried that approach and apparently the inverse is y=log5x

atleast thats how it looks on table of values and on the graph....i dunno why i went with the y=-5(-x)

I dont know if i got it right or not, someone kind enough to take a look and see if i got it right or not? or maybe just give me the solution outright so i know if i did it correctly or not? :P

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Your result is correct. If you start from your original equation, multiply both sides by negative 1, you can easily switch x and y, and carry couple simple steps to find y as a function of x.

hm... so y=log5x is correct?

symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
hm... so y=log5x is correct?
No! Your first result was correct. y=-5^(-x)

ahh ok ty

symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Original equation: [itex]y=-log_{5}(-x)[/itex]

[itex]-y=log_{5}(-x)[/itex]
Now express exponential form :
[itex]5^{-y}=-x[/itex]

Now, switch x and y to create inverse:
[itex]5^{-x}=-y[/itex],

and then simply, [itex]y=-5^{-x}[/itex]

Mentallic
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

y=-log5(-x)

i tried it and i got y=-5(-x)

hm.. you know how people say that if you want to find the inverse graph of something just switch the x and y coordinates from the table of values? Well i also tried that approach and apparently the inverse is y=log5x

atleast thats how it looks on table of values and on the graph....i dunno why i went with the y=-5(-x)

I dont know if i got it right or not, someone kind enough to take a look and see if i got it right or not? or maybe just give me the solution outright so i know if i did it correctly or not? :P
To check if you're right, when you get to the equation [itex]x=-5^{-y}[/itex], just plug that value of x into your original equation [itex]y=-\log_5(-x)[/itex] and see if you get an equality.