What is the inverse of this logarithm equation?

In summary: If you do, you're right- the inverse is y=log_5x. Otherwise, you might need to try switching the x and y coordinates in the table of values or on the graph.
supernova1203

Homework Statement

y=-log5(-x)

i tried it and i got y=-5(-x)hm.. you know how people say that if you want to find the inverse graph of something just switch the x and y coordinates from the table of values? Well i also tried that approach and apparently the inverse is y=log5x

atleast that's how it looks on table of values and on the graph...i don't know why i went with the y=-5(-x)I don't know if i got it right or not, someone kind enough to take a look and see if i got it right or not? or maybe just give me the solution outright so i know if i did it correctly or not? :P

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your result is correct. If you start from your original equation, multiply both sides by negative 1, you can easily switch x and y, and carry couple simple steps to find y as a function of x.

hm... so y=log5x is correct?

supernova1203 said:
hm... so y=log5x is correct?

No! Your first result was correct. y=-5^(-x)

ahh ok ty

Original equation: [itex]y=-log_{5}(-x)[/itex]

[itex]-y=log_{5}(-x)[/itex]
Now express exponential form :
[itex]5^{-y}=-x[/itex]

Now, switch x and y to create inverse:
[itex]5^{-x}=-y[/itex],

and then simply, [itex]y=-5^{-x}[/itex]

supernova1203 said:

Homework Statement

y=-log5(-x)

i tried it and i got y=-5(-x)

hm.. you know how people say that if you want to find the inverse graph of something just switch the x and y coordinates from the table of values? Well i also tried that approach and apparently the inverse is y=log5x

atleast that's how it looks on table of values and on the graph...i don't know why i went with the y=-5(-x)

I don't know if i got it right or not, someone kind enough to take a look and see if i got it right or not? or maybe just give me the solution outright so i know if i did it correctly or not? :P

To check if you're right, when you get to the equation [itex]x=-5^{-y}[/itex], just plug that value of x into your original equation [itex]y=-\log_5(-x)[/itex] and see if you get an equality.

1. What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is the inverse function of an exponential function, meaning it is used to find the exponent that a base number needs to be raised to in order to get a certain value.

2. What is the purpose of finding the inverse of a logarithm equation?

The purpose of finding the inverse of a logarithm equation is to solve for the variable in the equation, which is typically the exponent. This allows us to find the original value that was raised to a certain power.

3. How is the inverse of a logarithm equation calculated?

The inverse of a logarithm equation is calculated by rewriting the equation in exponential form and then isolating the variable. This involves taking the logarithm of both sides of the equation and using the properties of logarithms to simplify it.

4. Can any logarithm equation have an inverse?

Yes, all logarithm equations have an inverse as long as the base of the logarithm is greater than 0 and not equal to 1. This is because the logarithm function is one-to-one, meaning each input has exactly one output.

5. How do you know if you have found the correct inverse of a logarithm equation?

You can check if you have found the correct inverse of a logarithm equation by plugging in the values for the original equation and the inverse equation. If they cancel out and equal the original input, then you have found the correct inverse.