What is the IUPAC name of this organic compound?

In summary, In the textbook, there are two possible answers to the question what is 1-methylethanol, but the answer wasn't provided. The two possible answers are either 1-(cyclopent-1',4'-dienyl) methyl ethan-1-ol or 1-methyl - 1 - (cyclopent-1',4'-dienyl) ethan-1-ol. The first one is more detail-oriented, while the second is simpler.
NoahCygnus

Well I have two possible answers, it's either 1-(cyclopent - 1', 4'- dienyl) methyl ethan-1-ol or 1-methyl - 1 - (cyclopent-1',4'-dienyl) ethan-1-ol.
Unfortunately the answer wasn't provided in the textbook.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What is 1-methylethanol?
I would find it simplest to name it 2-(2-hydroxyprop-2-yl)cyclopentadiene, but that doesn't name it as an alcohol so I suspect is not correct.
Alternatively, 2-(2-cyclopentadienyl)-2-propanol?
Note that (i) you must specify the position of substitution on the ring; (ii) the ring is 1,3-cyclpoentadiene, not 1,4. Actually you can just say cyclopentadiene, because there is only one possible cyclopentadiene.

mjc123 said:
What is 1-methylethanol?
I would find it simplest to name it 2-(2-hydroxyprop-2-yl)cyclopentadiene, but that doesn't name it as an alcohol so I suspect is not correct.
Alternatively, 2-(2-cyclopentadienyl)-2-propanol?
Note that (i) you must specify the position of substitution on the ring; (ii) the ring is 1,3-cyclpoentadiene, not 1,4. Actually you can just say cyclopentadiene, because there is only one possible cyclopentadiene.

Nomenclature rules state that the functional group has a higher priority than a ring or double bonds, so the main chain will be the one marked by blue. I screwed up in the first try, I didn't see that there was a propane chain. I redid the problem and came with the answer 2-(cyclopent-1',4'-dienyl) propan-2-ol.

The numbering of the ring atoms is such as gives the lowest numbers to the double bonds (not such as puts the substituent on atom 1). Thus it is cyclopenta-1,3-dienyl and the substituent is on atom 2.

mjc123 said:
The numbering of the ring atoms is such as gives the lowest numbers to the double bonds (not such as puts the substituent on atom 1). Thus it is cyclopenta-1,3-dienyl and the substituent is on atom 2.
cyclopenta-1,3-dineyl? 1,3? I don't get how you numbered the ring, you have to number the carbon of the ring attached to the main chain as 1'. See diagram. There is no double bond on 3' carbon of the ring.

Maybe I'm thinking of cyclopentadiene as the base compound. To me, that's a cyclopentadiene with a substituent on atom 2. If IUPAC thinks differently, they're wrong, that's all I can say.

ChemSketch calls it 2-(cyclopenta-1,4-dien-1-yl)propan-2-ol.

I think it's 1-(cyclopent-1,4-dienyl) 1-methyl-ethanol.
Cyclo is starting with "C" and methyl is starting with "M" When there are two substituents, you write them alphabetically

NoahCygnus said:
View attachment 244518
Well I have two possible answers, it's either 1-(cyclopent - 1', 4'- dienyl) methyl ethan-1-ol or 1-methyl - 1 - (cyclopent-1',4'-dienyl) ethan-1-ol.
IUPAC RULE IS TO WRITE SUBSTITUENTS ALPHABETICALLY THEREFORE IT WOULD HAVE BEEN THE FIRST ONE BUT YOU MADE SLIGHT MISTAKE THE CORRECT NAMES ARE:-
2-(cyclo penta-1', 4'- dienyl) propan-2-ol [most detailed]
or 2-(cyclo penta-1, 4- dienyl) propan-2-ol [without ']
or 2-(1,4-cyclo pentadienyl)-2-propanol [simplest]

NoahCygnus said:
View attachment 244518
You have to start numbering from the foremost carbon attached to the functional group (which automatically becomes the main chain), number the first carbon of the cyclo group as 1 and know that it isn't included in the main chain as it is a 'substituent'
So the answer is 1-(Cyclopent-1,4 dienyl) 1-Methyl Ethan-1-ol. Feel free to ask any questions!

1. What is an IUPAC name?

An IUPAC name is a systematic way of naming organic compounds based on a set of rules established by the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC). It is used to ensure a consistent and unambiguous way of identifying and communicating the structure of a compound.

2. Why is it important to know the IUPAC name of a compound?

Knowing the IUPAC name of a compound is important because it provides a standardized way of communicating the structure of a compound to other scientists. It also allows for the accurate identification and classification of compounds, which is crucial in fields such as chemistry, biochemistry, and pharmaceuticals.

3. How is the IUPAC name of a compound determined?

The IUPAC name of a compound is determined by following a set of rules outlined in the IUPAC nomenclature system. This involves identifying the longest carbon chain in the compound, determining the functional groups present, and assigning a name based on the location and number of these functional groups.

4. Can the IUPAC name of a compound change?

Yes, the IUPAC name of a compound can change if new rules are established or if the compound is found to have a different structure than previously thought. In addition, some compounds may have multiple acceptable IUPAC names depending on the context or application.

5. Is it necessary to use the IUPAC name of a compound in everyday life?

No, it is not necessary to use the IUPAC name of a compound in everyday life. Common names, which are often simpler and more widely known, are typically used for everyday communication. However, in scientific and technical contexts, the use of the IUPAC name is preferred for accuracy and clarity.