What Paths Has a Retired Software Engineer's Life Taken?

• Thread starter adrianxw
  • Start date
In summary, the journey of a retired software engineer often involves a transition from a fast-paced and demanding career to a more relaxed and fulfilling lifestyle. Retired software engineers may choose to pursue hobbies, travel, or spend time with loved ones. They may also continue to stay updated on the latest technology and contribute to the industry in a different capacity, such as consulting or teaching. Retirement for software engineers can bring a sense of freedom and the opportunity to explore new interests, while still utilizing their skills and knowledge gained throughout their career.
adrianxw
It is suggested I answer the question asked in the title. I am an aging (62 years old) English guy living in Denmark. I studied geology at university, but have never worked as a geologist.

At university, I learned how to write programs for the large mainframe computer the university used. I became quite good at this, and after leaving, found a job writing programs for the engineering directorate of a public utility in the energy sector. I did this for 19 years.

I moved to Denmark to live with my girlfriend. Here, I have worked as software engineer for a couple of companies in the embedded market. In later years, this has been in C languages, but have extensively used Fortran varities, Pascal/Delphi and low level assemblers, raw hex in one case, as requrired by the task to be accomplished and the target platform.

I regard my self as largely retired now, although I still have my compilers, and knock out bits of code from time to time. I support Englands cricket team. In England, I kept and bred tropical fish, and was treasurer of a local aquarist society, but the hobby is non-existant in Denmark.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes berkeman and PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:

England making a steady start against SA.

I expect Jonny Bairstow feels a little foolish though, out to the second ball of the tournament.