What is the lim q>p of [f(p+q)-f(p)]/q?

• Thread starter TitoSmooth
  • Start date
In summary: But if you don't understand function notation, the limit doesn't mean much.What Mark44 wrote is exactly the problem you referred to.The book asks you,What is ##\displaystyle \lim_{q \to 0}\frac{f(p + q) - f(p)}{q}\ \ ?##In summary, the conversation is about understanding the meaning of the function notation f and finding the limit of a given expression involving f. The participants discuss the concept of a function and its notation, as well as the concept of a difference quotient and its application in calculus. The main issue is that the original poster does not understand the notation and struggles to find the limit without this understanding.
TitoSmooth
I did. [f(p)+f(q)-f(p)]/q = f(q)/q

Can anyone explain what the f outside of parenthesis mean? Is it function of letter? and what's the answer.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you say [itex] f(p + q) = f(p) + f(q)[/itex]. Do you know what [itex] f[/itex] means? If so, you haven't given that the function [itex]f[/itex] is linear, so you can't do that.

If you don't know what [itex] f[/itex] means, it means it is a function(probably, based on what you need to calculate). A function is a way to notate something done on a number, for instance take the function [itex] g[/itex] which we define to be [itex] g(x) = x^2[/itex] for all real numbers [itex] x[/itex]. Then [itex] g(2) = 4[/itex], for instance. That also means that [itex] g(p + q) = (p + q)^2 = p^2 + 2pq + q^2 \neq p^2 + q^2 = g(p) + g(q)[/itex].

sorry.

it is basicly problem 7. pg 104 in Morris Kline Calculus.

what is Lim q→0 [f(p+q)-f(p)]/q.

what does this mean? the f(terms) are confusing me.

Im in the section where we learn X^n rule of derivatives.

TitoSmooth said:
sorry.

it is basicly problem 7. pg 104 in Morris Kline Calculus.

what is Lim q→0 [f(p+q)-f(p)]/q.

Im in the section where we learn X^n rule of derivatives.

Are you given a particular function ##f## to begin with? Or is it just some unknown function? If you think of ##q=h## and ##p=x## you have$$
\lim_{h\to 0}\frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}$$Is that familiar?

Nope not familiar and it does not say its a function or not.

Is q>p or is q ->p?

q---> as q nears p

TitoSmooth said:
What is Lim q→0 [f(p+q)-f(p)]/q.

I'm in the section where we learn X^n rule of derivatives.
What specifically is confusing you? It was explained above that f denotes a function.

vela said:
What specifically is confusing you? It was explained above that f denotes a function.

Can I have a step by step explanation of the question I posted? How do I find the limit of the problem.

TitoSmooth said:
Can I have a step by step explanation of the question I posted? How do I find the limit of the problem.
You're fairly new here, so might not be clear on how things work at PF. Per the rules of this forum, we don't do your work for you.

In the rules, under Homework Help Guidelines:
Under no circumstances should complete solutions be provided to a questioner, whether or not an attempt has been made.

It seems pretty obvious to me that the expressions f(p + q) and f(p) are function notation, and the limit suggests a difference quotient, a basic concept in calculus. It would actually be a difference quotient if it were like this:
$$\lim_{q \to 0}\frac{f(p + q) - f(p)}{q}$$
This isn't what you wrote, though, as you have q approaching p rather than 0.

A more serious problem is that you converted f(p + q) to f(p) + f(q), which is almost never a valid step. As you said earlier, you didn't understand what the notation f(p) meant, which tells me that you will have a very difficult time in calculus until you fill this gap in your knowledge.

Mark44 said:
It seems pretty obvious to me that the expressions f(p + q) and f(p) are function notation, and the limit suggests a difference quotient, a basic concept in calculus. It would actually be a difference quotient if it were like this:
$$\lim_{q \to 0}\frac{f(p + q) - f(p)}{q}$$
This isn't what you wrote, though, as you have q approaching p rather than 0.
What Mark44 wrote is exactly the problem you referred to.

The book asks you,

What is ##\displaystyle \lim_{q \to 0}\frac{f(p + q) - f(p)}{q}\ \ ?##

SammyS said:
What Mark44 wrote is exactly the problem you referred to.

The book asks you,

What is ##\displaystyle \lim_{q \to 0}\frac{f(p + q) - f(p)}{q}\ \ ?##
From the thread title, the limit was as q --> p, which doesn't make much sense. I didn't notice that in post #3, the OP changed it to q --> 0.

Yes, the limit is as q --> 0 .

What is the limit of [f(p+q)-f(p)]/q?

The limit of [f(p+q)-f(p)]/q as q approaches p is the derivative of f(p) with respect to q, also known as the instantaneous rate of change of f(p) at q=p.

How do you calculate the limit of [f(p+q)-f(p)]/q?

The limit of [f(p+q)-f(p)]/q can be calculated using the definition of a derivative, which is the limit of [f(p+q)-f(p)]/q as q approaches 0. This can be solved using algebraic manipulation and the use of differentiation rules.

Why is the limit of [f(p+q)-f(p)]/q important?

The limit of [f(p+q)-f(p)]/q is important in calculus and other areas of mathematics because it helps us understand the behavior of a function at a specific point. It also allows us to find the slope of a tangent line at a given point on a curve.

What happens if the limit of [f(p+q)-f(p)]/q does not exist?

If the limit of [f(p+q)-f(p)]/q does not exist, it means that the derivative of f(p) at q=p does not exist. This could be due to a sharp corner or discontinuity in the graph of f(p) at q=p, or because the function is not continuous at that point.

Can the limit of [f(p+q)-f(p)]/q be infinity?

Yes, the limit of [f(p+q)-f(p)]/q can be infinity if the function f(p) has a vertical asymptote at q=p. In this case, the function is increasing or decreasing without bound as q approaches p, resulting in an infinite limit.