What is the Limit of polar coordinates?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
andrassy
Messages
45
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement

I need to evaluate this limit by converting to polar coordinates:

lim (x,y) -> (0,0) of (x^2 + xy + y^2) / x^2 + y^2



Homework Equations

x = rcos(theta), y = rsin(theta)



The Attempt at a Solution

So switching to polar I get:

[(rcos(theta))^2 + rcos(theta)rsin(theta) + (rsin(theta))^2] / (rcos(theta))^2 + (rsin(theta))^2

By pulling out the r^2 from the the top of the equation and the bottom of the equation, they can cancel. Then the denominator is cos(theta)^2 + sin(theta)^2 which equals 1.

So we get the limit of cos(theta)^2 + cos(theta)sin(theta) + sin(theta)^2 but I don't know what to do from here because this is the limit as r goes to 0 and there is no r?

I'm kinda stuck here...what can I do? We didn't really get taught this so I could be missing something simple.

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You can simplify a little more down to 1+cos(theta)sin(theta). There is always the possible answer that the limit doesn't exist, right? What do you say in this case and why?
 
Dick said:
You can simplify a little more down to 1+cos(theta)sin(theta). There is always the possible answer that the limit doesn't exist, right? What do you say in this case and why?
Right I figured the limit did not exist. Does it have to do wiht the cos(theta)sin(theta)? So As r goes to 0, the function is just 1cos(theta)sin(theta) for whatever value of theta which will oscillate. Is that the correct way of thinking about it?
 
Look at it this way. For the limit to exist the limit has to be independent of the way (x,y) approaches (0,0). If you set y=0, and let x->0, what's the limit. (This is the theta=0 case, right? Check it in your polar formula.) Now set y=x and let x->0. (This is the theta=pi/4 case. Try putting that into your polar formula as well.). So right, the limit does not exist. Because it depends on theta.