Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I What is the magnetic saturation of gadolinium?

1. Feb 9, 2019 #1

cmb

Just interested to know what the flux saturation of gadolinium is, and what is its Curie temperature?

I can't find any data on it at all.

thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2019 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Google it ... it's really easy to do, there's tons of info available :smile:

4. Feb 9, 2019 #3

cmb

I have.

I find Bohr magnetron data, no idea how that relates to saturation flux, if anything.

The hits I get are all about MRI, due to the gadolinium marker they use for some scans, and I can't search for anything beyond that.

Maybe your skills at using search engines are better than mine and you could offer a suitable search term and I'll review the top 10 that come up to see if something covers it?

5. Feb 9, 2019 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

6. Feb 9, 2019 #5

cmb

Yes, they are all showing as 'opened' in the usual browser colour on my computer, I have already gone through those.

What I have found is an indication that its ferromagnetic behaviour has been tested up to 250degK, and that at 4K it is around 2.3T, and there are some indications of similar saturation levels in films.

What I would like to know is if I have a machined block of it on my desk, at room temperature, what is its saturation flux?

As it is one of only 5 elements that exhibit ferromagnetism, I'd have thought it might make an appearance on a graph such as the one on the wiki page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturation_(magnetic) .

7. Feb 9, 2019 #6

cmb

8. Feb 9, 2019 #7

Charles Link

Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2018 Award

If that info is correct, it is paramagnetic at room temperature =## 20^{\circ} ## C, but will be ferromagnetic if you go to cool "room" temperatures=## T<60^{\circ} ## F. ## \\ ## If you can get a sample, it should be interesting for you to experiment with the temperature phase change.

9. Feb 11, 2019 #8
    I've actually come across a video on YouTube recently that demonstrates this property of Gadolinium (Look at 5:00):

10. Feb 11, 2019 #9

cmb

Thanks for linking it in, a great video, and thanks to that youtuber.

Interesting questions there about why iron has the highest ferromagnetic response at the surface, but cobalt at a distance.

11. Feb 13, 2019 #10
    There is no magnetic saturation because it nonmagnetic it does not have any ferrite. It can be used to make a great transmitter by using it in a transceiver as the collector of the signals.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?