What is the Mass Density of a Floating Cylinder in Water?

In summary: For example, in the equation for buoyancy, Fb is the weight of the fluid displaced, while mg is the weight of the object. So, Fb-Fg = mg, and since mg is always positive, Fb-Fg always equals positive buoyancy. In summary, Homework Equations state that Fb-Fg = pf*vf*g = mo*g where p is the mass density of the object, vf is the volume of the fluid displaced, and mo is the mass of the object.
ch2kb0x

Homework Statement

A 6cm tall cylinder floats in water with its axis perpendicular to the surface. The length of the cylinder above water is 2cm. What is the cylinders mass density?

Homework Equations

Fb-Fg = pf*vf*g = mo*g
=pf*vf*g = po*vo*g
mass density = p = m / V

*note: pf=density of fluid
vf= volume of fluid
mo = mass of object
vo = volume of object.
water density = 1000 kg/m^3

The Attempt at a Solution

I basically drew the Free body diagram which had the buoyuant force pointing up and force of object pointing down to due (mg). Help! An answer would be nice

Physics news on Phys.org

ch2kb0x said:

Homework Equations

Fb-Fg = pf*vf*g = mo*g
=pf*vf*g = po*vo*g
So far, so good. (You set the net force = 0.) Now make use of the data given in the problem. What is vf in terms of vo?

Then you can just solve for po, which is the cylinder's density.

Fb-Fg = pf*vf*g = mo*g
Sorry to interrupt - just wondering if you would take a moment to explain what these symbols mean so I can follow the solution. Interesting problem!

I would have started with
Fb - Fg = ma = 0 (force of buoyancy up minus force of gravity down)
The total force must be zero since the cylinder is not accelerating.

Ah, Fg = m*g so perhaps your mo is the mass of the object.
Fb would be the mass of the water displaced by the sunken part of the object times g and related to the density of water and the volume of the sunken part.
But what are pf and vf and why isn't Fb-Fg equal to zero?

Delphi51 said:
Sorry to interrupt - just wondering if you would take a moment to explain what these symbols mean so I can follow the solution. Interesting problem!
The OP is using:
vo = volume of object
vf = volume of fluid displaced
mo = mass of object
po = density of object (ρ)
pf = density of fluid

I would have started with
Fb - Fg = ma = 0 (force of buoyancy up minus force of gravity down)
The total force must be zero since the cylinder is not accelerating.
That's what he did, he just didn't write it all that carefully.

When he wrote: Fb-Fg = pf*vf*g = mo*g
I presumed (based on what followed) that he meant:
Fb-Fg = 0 → pf*vf*g = mo*g

(I should have pointed this out earlier.)

Thanks Doc Al; much appreciated. You have a sharp eye!
I've been in high school for 30 years and have been using D for density rather than rho.

Sorry, still not getting it. I know this should be a fairly easy question.

Answer the question I posed in post #2:

Doc Al said:
What is vf in terms of vo?

I'm a student working on a similar problem but I'm not getting it either. I know the weight of the fluid displaced equals the weight of the object and I got the equation but how can we find this without the volume of the cylinder?

how can we find this without the volume of the cylinder?
Good point! I didn't even notice that problem because the volume canceled out in my calculation. The actual size or volume doesn't matter because you would get the same answer for a cylinder with a radius of 1 or one with a radius of 10. In fact, you could think of the bigger one as being made of a bunch of little ones, perhaps with a bottom area of 1 cm squared.

There is a lesson in here somewhere. Don't worry too much about things you don't know yet and don't put the numbers into the problem too early. Work with symbols only and watch for things to cancel out.

1. What is buoyancy in physics?

Buoyancy is a force that acts on an object when it is immersed in a fluid. It is caused by the difference in pressure at different depths in the fluid, and it is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces.

2. How do you calculate buoyancy?

Buoyancy can be calculated using Archimedes' principle, which states that the buoyant force is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object. This can be calculated by multiplying the density of the fluid by the volume of the displaced fluid, and then multiplying that by the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What factors affect buoyancy?

The factors that affect buoyancy include the density of the fluid, the volume of the displaced fluid, and the acceleration due to gravity. The shape and size of the object also play a role, as well as the depth at which the object is immersed in the fluid.

4. How does buoyancy relate to objects floating or sinking?

An object will float in a fluid if the buoyant force acting on it is equal to or greater than the weight of the object. If the buoyant force is less than the weight of the object, it will sink. This is why objects with a lower density than the fluid they are in will float, while objects with a higher density will sink.

5. Can buoyancy be used for practical applications?

Yes, buoyancy has many practical applications. Some examples include ships using buoyancy to stay afloat, hot air balloons using buoyancy to rise, and life jackets using buoyancy to keep the wearer afloat. Buoyancy is also important in fields such as marine biology and oceanography.