What Is the Minimum Thickness for Constructive Interference in a Thin Film?

In summary: When x < y, the condition is 2t = (L-y)/2 (where L = wavelength in the film and y = the y-axis wavelength of the reflected light in air).
Joza
A thin film is put on the surface of glass, with indexes of refraction of x and y respectively.

If light, with wavelength L in air, is reflected from the 2 sides of the film, to interfere constructively, what is the minimum thickness required.

The question is stated just like that, so I think it is vague in some parts.

I can't think of a formula to work this out. I know for con. interference, 2t=mL, where m is a whole number. But this isn't enough, and doesn't relate the indexes of r.

Any hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
Shouldn't be doing your Homework 3 and half hours before its due.. tut tut:-p

Haha. I'd usually do it on Saturday, but with a boozin session going down, it didnt get done.

Besides, I'm a member here ages, so the guys can be great help when needed.

So did you get this one? Hey I helped you with the polarizer one :approve:

Sure i got it......

Nah i think I'm retarded, on 40%..

Still can't get the polarizer one or this one or the last one lol

Ah...there would have been a nice a pav pint in it for ya.

Hey, what's your name? Don't tell me your TP...:rolleyes:

Im taking a break, think "Fringes from Different Interfering Wavelengths" may be answerable! If i hit 60 i'll be proud! lol ;)

I don't think I'll hit 60 this time...

Damn weekends...;)

Joza said:
I can't think of a formula to work this out. I know for con. interference, 2t=mL, where m is a whole number. But this isn't enough, and doesn't relate the indexes of r.
Assuming x < y, the phase change on reflection is the same for both reflections so all that matters is the phase difference due to traveling through the film. That equation (2t = mL) will work, but L must be the wavelength in the film. That's where the index of refraction comes in.

If x > y, things will be a bit different. Learn more here: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/phyopt/thinfilm.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, x > y.

I understand it when x < y.

Then 2t=L, where L is wavelength in the film. So L would be index of refraction in film times wavelength in air.

But x > y...

Joza said:
Yes, x > y.

I understand it when x < y.

Then 2t=L, where L is wavelength in the film. So L would be index of refraction in film times wavelength in air.
Not exactly. Is the wavelength shorter or longer in the film?

But x > y...
In that case the second reflection undergoes a different phase shift than the first (actually no phase shift). See that link for details.

Sorry, divided by...

So does that mean 2t=L?? Or t=L?

Joza said:
So does that mean 2t=L?? Or t=L?
When x > y, the condition for constructive interference (and minimum thickness) is 2t = L/2 (where L = wavelength in the film).

Related to What Is the Minimum Thickness for Constructive Interference in a Thin Film?

1. What is thin film interference?

Thin film interference is a phenomenon that occurs when light travels through a thin film of material, such as oil or soap, and is reflected off of both the top and bottom surfaces. The light waves interfere with each other, resulting in certain colors being either enhanced or cancelled out.

2. How does thin film interference work?

Thin film interference works by the interaction of light waves as they travel through a thin film. When light hits the top surface of the film, some of it is reflected while the rest passes through and is reflected off the bottom surface. The two reflected waves then combine and interfere with each other, resulting in either constructive or destructive interference.

3. What factors affect thin film interference?

The main factors that affect thin film interference are the thickness of the film, the refractive index of the film material, and the angle at which light hits the film. These factors determine the path length and phase difference of the light waves, which ultimately determine the resulting interference pattern.

4. What are some real-world applications of thin film interference?

Thin film interference is used in a variety of applications, including anti-reflective coatings on glasses, optical filters, and holograms. It also plays a role in the vibrant colors seen in soap bubbles, oil slicks, and certain types of butterfly wings.

5. How is thin film interference different from other types of interference?

Thin film interference is a type of interference that specifically occurs in thin films, whereas other types of interference, such as diffraction and interference from gratings, can occur in a variety of materials and structures. Additionally, thin film interference is highly dependent on the thickness and refractive index of the film, while other types of interference may be affected by different factors.