What is the minimum value of f(N)?

• Thread starter dedaNoe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Minimum
In summary, the function f(N) is defined as the square root of the sum of (A_i / (1-N) + B_i / N)^2, where i goes from 1 to 3. The derivative of f(N) equals the sum of the derivatives of the individual terms, and f(N) reaches a minimum when its derivative is either zero or undefined. To find the minimum value of f(N), plug in all the critical values for N and choose the least value.
dedaNoe
I have
[tex]f(N)=\sqrt{Sum(\frac{A_i}{1-N}+\frac{B_i}{N})^2}[/tex]
i=1 to 3

I need such N that gives minimum for f(N)?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]f(N) = \sqrt{\sum _{i=1} ^3 \left (\frac{A_i}{1 - N} + \frac{B_i}{N} \right )^2 }[/tex]

Now:

[tex]\frac{d}{dN} \left [ \sum_i g_i(N) \right ] = \sum g_i'(N)[/tex]

Why is this true? Observe:

[tex]\frac{d}{dN} \left [ \sum _i g_i(N) \right ] = \frac{d}{dN}[g_1(N) + g_2(N) + g_3(N)][/tex]

[tex]\ = g_1'(N) + g_2'(N) + g_3'(N) = \sum g_i'(N)[/tex]

Note, [itex]g_i(N) = \left ( \frac{A_i}{1 - N} + \frac{B_i}{N} \right )^2[/itex] and [itex]\sum _i[/itex] is just a shorthand way of saying [itex]\sum _{i = 1} ^3[/itex].

Now, f(N) reaches a minimum where f'(N) is zero or undefined. I've given you a way to easily find the derivative for f(N). You can tell where it will be zero or undefined. Take all those critical values for N where f'(N) is zero or undefined, plug those values of N into f(N), and choose the least value.

It looks like AKG forgot to take the square root into account, but consider that when f is a minimum, f^2 is a minimum if f > 0, or a maximum if f < 0.

Related to What is the minimum value of f(N)?

1. What does "minimum" mean in a scientific context?

"Minimum" refers to the smallest or lowest value or amount that is possible or allowed in a given situation. In science, it often refers to the smallest amount of a substance or the lowest level of a certain condition that is required or desired.

2. What factors determine the minimum amount of a substance?

The minimum amount of a substance can be determined by several factors, including the purpose or goal of the experiment, the sensitivity of the equipment being used, and the properties of the substance itself (such as solubility or reactivity).

3. How is the minimum amount of a substance measured?

The minimum amount of a substance can be measured through various techniques, such as titration, spectrophotometry, or gravimetric analysis. These methods involve precise measurements and calculations to determine the smallest amount of the substance present.

4. What are the implications of not meeting the minimum amount of a substance?

Not meeting the minimum amount of a substance can have significant implications in scientific experiments. It can affect the accuracy and reliability of the results, as well as the ability to draw meaningful conclusions. In some cases, it may even render the experiment invalid and require repeating.

5. How does the concept of minimum relate to the scientific method?

The concept of minimum is crucial in the scientific method as it helps to establish a baseline for comparison and ensures that experiments are conducted under controlled and standardized conditions. It also allows for the identification of significant changes or differences in the presence of a substance, which is essential for drawing valid conclusions.