What is the moment of inertia for a water bottle?

In summary: The latter always has water in it. In summary, the moment of inertia for a water bottle rolling down an inclined ramp would be somewhere between that for an object with MoI = ##mr^2## and one with MoI = ##\frac12 mr^2##.
phuntimes
Hi, I'm setting up an equation for initial gravitational potential energy, and I'm just wondering what the moment of inertia, I, would be for a water bottle rolling down an inclined ramp?

Is it mr2 or ½mr2

Or would it be something else?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the bottle is empty, it will be close to ##mr^2##. See the item here for 'thin cylindrical shell with open ends'.

But if the bottle contains water, whether completely or only partially full, it will be much more complicated. The water will mostly not rotate as the bottle rolls down. But there will be friction between the water and the bottle, which will cause some of the water to rotate, as well as generating heat and acting as a brake. I expect the rate of rolling would be somewhere between that for an object with MoI= ##mr^2## and one with MoI = ##\frac12 mr^2##.

Likes phuntimes
Neither. A water bottle generally is not an idealised cylinder. It will depend a lot on the type of bottle and it is just impossible to give any sort of reasonable answer without more information.

phuntimes said:
Hi, I'm setting up an equation for initial gravitational potential energy, and I'm just wondering what the moment of inertia, I, would be for a water bottle rolling down an inclined ramp?

Is it mr2 or ½mr2

Or would it be something else?
Those two formulae refer to A hollow cylinder and A solid rod. Once you have realized what those two formulae actually refer to (and why), the whole thing should become clear. The answer will be somewhere in between for a real bottle. The geometry of the neck and the base will affect the value, too and so would the thickness of the envelope.
P.S. You can ADD moments of inertia.

Moment of inertia is a useful concept for bodies that rotate rigidly and accordingly have an unambiguous rotation rate. A bottle of water does not qualify.

jbriggs444 said:
Moment of inertia is a useful concept for bodies that rotate rigidly and accordingly have an unambiguous rotation rate. A bottle of water does not qualify.
There is a difference between a water bottle and a bottle of water. The former may or may not contain water.

Related to What is the moment of inertia for a water bottle?

1. What is the moment of inertia for a water bottle?

The moment of inertia for a water bottle depends on its shape and size. It is a measure of how difficult it is to rotate the bottle around its axis. This value is usually calculated experimentally or using mathematical formulas.

2. How is the moment of inertia calculated for a water bottle?

The moment of inertia can be calculated by integrating the mass of the water bottle with respect to its distance from the axis of rotation. The formula for calculating moment of inertia varies depending on the shape of the bottle. For a cylindrical water bottle, the formula is I = 1/2 * m * r^2, where m is the mass of the bottle and r is the radius.

3. Does the material of the water bottle affect its moment of inertia?

Yes, the material of the water bottle can affect its moment of inertia. Objects with larger mass and greater distance from the axis of rotation have a higher moment of inertia. Therefore, a water bottle made of a denser material will have a higher moment of inertia compared to a lighter material.

4. How does the shape of the water bottle impact its moment of inertia?

The shape of the water bottle directly affects its moment of inertia. Objects with a larger radius have a higher moment of inertia, as the mass is distributed at a greater distance from the axis of rotation. This is why a cylindrical water bottle will have a higher moment of inertia compared to a spherical water bottle with the same mass.

5. Why is the moment of inertia important for a water bottle?

The moment of inertia is important for a water bottle because it affects how the bottle will behave when it is rotated or spun. It is a key factor in understanding the stability and motion of the bottle. A higher moment of inertia means that more force will be required to rotate the bottle, making it more difficult to change its direction or speed.