What is the narrow-sense heritability of seed weight?

• Thread starter jena
  • Start date
In summary, the narrow-sense heritability of seed weight in this population is 0.57. This was calculated using the selection differential and selection response method, as there was not enough information to use the equation h^2 = Va/Vt.
jena
Hi,
My Question:

Assume that all phenotypic variance in seed weight in beans is genetically determined and is additive. From a population in which the mean seed weight was 0.88g, a farmer selected two seeds, each weighing 1.02g. He planted these and crossed the resulting plants to each other, then collected and weighed their seeds. The mean weight of their seeds was 0.96g. What is the narrow-sense heritability of seed weight?

Work

I know that I'm supposed to use this equation:

h^2= Va/Vt, where

Va is the variance due to additive alleles

Vt is the total variance, so I did this

h^2= .88/.96 =.92

Is this correct??

Thank You:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
jena, I'm afraid I have no recollection of this area of genetics (you've finally stumped me). :redface: I hope someone else will come along who can better help you, but in the meantime, perhaps we can figure this out together. In your equation, why did you use the mean weight for the variance? How is the term "variance" being used? Also, what does the term h^2 mean? Is that heritability? And do you need to take the squareroot of your final answer to get h (if that's the right term to use there)?

Maybe if you can answer my questions, it will help you find your own answers to how to solve this problem to double-check your work.

I think you are using the wrong the formula. You do not have enough information to calculate the Va/Vt. I think you should calculate the R/S.

Look at this page
http://www.evotutor.org/Selection/Sl4A.html

Could this work :confused:

Selection Differential(difference between the mean phenotype of the selected parents and the mean phenotype of the population before selection)
1.02g-.88g= .14g

Selection Response(Amount phenotype change in one generation)
.96g-.88g=.08 g

then divide the selection reponse response over the selection differential

HN2 =.08/14

Finally,

HN2 =.57

Last edited:

Related to What is the narrow-sense heritability of seed weight?

What is narrow-sense heritability?

Narrow-sense heritability is a measure of the proportion of phenotypic variation that is due to genetic factors. It specifically looks at the additive genetic effects on a trait, meaning the effects of individual genes rather than overall genetic relatedness.

How is narrow-sense heritability calculated?

Narrow-sense heritability is calculated by comparing the phenotypic variation of a trait within a population to the genetic relatedness between individuals in that population. This is typically done through statistical methods such as heritability estimates or genetic correlations.

What is the difference between narrow-sense heritability and broad-sense heritability?

Narrow-sense heritability only looks at the additive genetic effects on a trait, while broad-sense heritability takes into account all genetic effects, including dominant and epistatic effects. This means that broad-sense heritability will always be equal to or greater than narrow-sense heritability.

Why is narrow-sense heritability important in genetics research?

Narrow-sense heritability allows researchers to understand the genetic basis of a trait and predict how that trait may be passed down to future generations. It also helps to identify which specific genes are responsible for a trait, which can be useful in breeding and genetic engineering.

Can narrow-sense heritability change over time?

Yes, narrow-sense heritability can change over time due to environmental factors and changes in genetic variation within a population. This is why it is important to regularly reassess heritability estimates and account for any changes in genetic and environmental factors.

Back