Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,458
- 3,266
Diffusion pumps are freakin' amazing.
strangerep said:she just said "this is just a calming agent, the real anaesthetic comes later". But of course, it was the real anaesthetic and she was just trying to stop me from freaking out at the last moment (which some people do, apparently).
She lied! Just kidding.jim hardy said:I remember well getting put out for my first open heart. It was much faster than you describe.
A pretty nurse had in her hand a small valve connecting a vial to my IV port. She said "Good Night" and gave it a quarter turn. Almost immediately my vision darkened and i went out before i could give a comeback. I still marvel at how fast it was.
Next thing i remember is gradually coming back toward consciousness aware only of searing pain and darkness. My only thought was "When i open my eyes i know there'll be nothing left below my ribcage - I've been bit in two by a shark nothing less could hurt like this .. "
Then i became aware that a machine was doing my breathing for me.
Then i opened my eyes and could see only a jumble of tubes , vision pretty well blocked by a really big one coming out of my mouth.
So i tried wiggling my toes, it felt as if they were still there . Then i remembered where i was .
It is really amazing that they can get us so far down and bring us back.
But google "Bypass Brain" . It's a real phenomenon.
old jim
Open heart? I'd be too scared to have something like that. But why did it hurt later? Isn't there a chemical to block pain? If there are chemicals to put us to sleep so fast, why not chemicals to block pain? 
and the doctor told her it was taking effect while nodding and smiling.dlgoff said:Diffusion pumps are freakin' amazing
Probably . Morphine knocks it down from excruciating to bearable.Psinter said:But why did it hurt later? Isn't there a chemical to block pain?
Lol, I thought it might have been... "Woke up this morning..."jim hardy said:Woke up this morning thinking about prairie grass, Big Bluestem .
Indeed. I've worked in a couple hospitals as a biomedical engineer; being present in surgical suites. I'll never forget the little 8 year old boy getting his tonsils removed that never recovered.strangerep said:... and a bit scary that it doesn't always work properly...


. Sort of made me wonder... what if Earth suddenly stopped rotating? Would we be bulleted away? Just thinking.With known diameter and rotation period, should be easy to calculate.Psinter said:Earth suddenly stopped rotating? Would we be bulleted away? Just thinking.
Psinter said:Those machines give the feel that you are going to be bulleted and slammed against the ground. They accelerate really fast and suddenly change directions for which the momentum gives you the chills and the feeling that you are going to be thrown away like a missile.
Can I ask you what part of Adam Smith you don't like?fresh_42 said:This is independent of the Brexit. I like the Brexit, because UK had always been merely more than an obstacle. They had special payment conditions, didn't participate in the Schengen agreement and favor an Adam Smith capitalism I don't appreciate. To say it with Monty Python: "What have you lost?"
I have no idea. It's one of these things you pick up during a lifetime and which you don't have any idea about where, when and why. Yet, my list of unintended losses is longer ... You don't need a formal divorce to get ripped![]()
jim hardy said:An ounce of gold has always had roughly the same value as a fine men's suit. Not so for a twenty dollar bill.
These 2 items might also be worth checking out:Psinter said:You know those theme parks or whatever they are called? [...]
Never again. [...]
. I joke, I joke.fresh_42 said:I really loved to watch documentations of all kind on tv. I found them entertaining. Nice graphics, short comments and outlooks. Usually pleasant voices. And now? What happened to me? All the time I really listen to what the moderator says, one silent bs comment chases the next in my brain. Thanks PF. They are not fun anymore.
Mate of mine and I always said it to each other before our exams. Usually in English, though. The sailor's blasphemy ("For what we are about to receive, may the Lord make us truly thankful") was another favourite.WWGD said:I guess saying ¨morituris te Salutamus -Salutant before an exam may be too dramatic.
Yes, sorry, I was trying to show-off the two-three phrases I know in Latin, but "E Pluribus Unum" did not make sense, and, in Trump's days, it is not true any more, and neither is the " Give me your poor, huddled masses..." ( Statue of Lberty). More like: " We got in first, you get the hell out". Can't think of how to translate that to Latin.Ibix said:Mate of mine and I always said it to each other before our exams. Usually in English, though. The sailor's blasphemy ("For what we are about to receive, may the Lord make us truly thankful") was another favourite.
I have a nice one for you. A variation of Descartes which someone scrabbled on the toilet door. However, I think it is not kids proof.WWGD said:Yes, sorry, I was trying to show-off the two-three phrases I know in Latin, but "E Pluribus Unum" did not make sense, and, in Trump's days, it is not true any more, and neither is the " Give me your poor, huddled masses..." ( Statue of Lberty). More like: " We got in first, you get the hell out". Can't think of how to translate that to Latin.