What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 758K views
Borg said:
If there was a spammer on the forum, it's hard to say how most people would react but I like to think that I would charge after him and click the Report button.
Well, yeah, but you're a collective and indifferent to individual harm. :smile:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Bystander
Physics news on Phys.org
phinds said:
Well, yeah, but you're a collective and indifferent to individual harm. :smile:
Even spammers have no usefulness in the collective.
If only we could find a way to waste their time like this:

A robot that has fun at telemarketers' expense.
Roger Anderson may not seem like a superhero. But to many, he has become one.
by night, he wages battles against evil telemarketers, tweaking and honing a robot that can talk endlessly to telemarketers, wasting their time so they don’t have to waste yours.
Enter the Jolly Roger Telephone Company. Whenever Mr. Anderson hears from a telemarketer, he patches the caller through to his robot, puts his phone on mute and let's his bot do the talking.
 
StoneTemplePython said:
Was trying to weave in lyrics from the song -- "Hand in my pocket".

- - - -
It sounded more clever before I finished my coffee
I always wanted a concert with Sheryl Crow, Counting Crows, Crowbar and Cameron Crow -- sponsored by Russell Crowe. All I got is the Petty Cash tour ( Roseanne Cash and Tom Petty).
EDIT: Oops, it seems this was not a Sheryl Crow song, but it sounds better with her and all the Crow- people.
 
Last edited:
Wonder if there is such a thing as a hypercrit, or just a crit. Still, as some have pointed out, there is such a thing as a minister (mini -ster) but not a maxister nor an ister.
 
WWGD said:
Wonder if there is such a thing as a hypercrit, or just a crit. Still, as some have pointed out, there is such a thing as a minister (mini -ster) but not a maxister nor an ister.
And this in a country where many think the ad-mini-stration is actually an ad-maxi-stration.
 
fresh_42 said:
And this in a country where many think the ad-mini-stration is actually an ad-maxi-stration.
Actually, the whole thing came about from someone asking why there existed the words " underwhelmed" , " overwhelmed" but not just plain " whelmed": I am whelmed at the situation.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark
phinds said:
Well, you're sunk then :smile:

Sure, then I will have a nice ( an ice) coffee to deal with that.
 
What happens when making typos in English is far more interesting. I've rarely seen a language so sensible on single letters (drops, order changes, insertions). Writing error correcting codes in English must be a nightmare.
 
fresh_42 said:
What happens when making typos in English is far more interesting. I've rarely seen a language so sensible on single letters (drops, order changes, insertions). Writing error correcting codes in English must be a nightmare.
Sure. Have an Ice Day.
 
WWGD said:
Sure. Have an Ice Day.
That was easy. You've probably been on whether.com that you new now ducking coal it's hear.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ibix
WWGD said:
Actually, the whole thing came about from someone asking why there existed the words " underwhelmed" , " overwhelmed" but not just plain " whelmed": I am whelmed at the situation.
Also, people can be gormless but never gormful. "I have moderate quantities of gorm" also seems linguistically impossible.
 
Ibix said:
Also, people can be gormless but never gormful. "I have moderate quantities of gorm" also seems linguistically impossible.
Didn't the Composite (mini)ster address that?
 
Ibix said:
Also, people can be gormless but never gormful. "I have moderate quantities of gorm" also seems linguistically impossible.
I think many people have actually big amounts of gorm.
 
fresh_42 said:
I think many people have actually big amounts of gorm.
I have indefinite amounts, until I read the definition of gorm and find a way of measuring it. EDIT: I still think " Irregardless" takes the cake -- and eats it too.
 
Ouch, I hope I am (equivalent to) gormful, or at least not equivalent to gormless.
 
fresh_42 said:
That was easy. You've probably been on whether.com that you new now ducking coal it's hear.
No, that's the way people in Anctarctica's anti-global warming environmental station greet each other.
 
fresh_42 said:
I think many people have actually big amounts of gorm.
There are a few gorm-free zones, too.
WWGD said:
I still think " Irregardless" takes the cake -- and eats it too.
Anybody tells me they want to go ahead with something irregardless, I tell them to hang fire on that.
 
Ibix said:
There are a few gorm-free zones, too.
Anybody tells me they want to go ahead with something irregardless, I tell them to hang fire on that.
Including the composite ( non-prime) minister?

Any minister who is not a prime minister must be composite.
 
WWGD said:
Including the composite ( non-prime) minister?

Any minister who is not a prime minister must be composite.
I have a feeling there's a maths joke I'm missing here. But yes, all politicians are composite. They're at least 50% human. Most of them.
 
Ibix said:
I have a feeling there's a maths joke I'm missing here. But yes, all politicians are composite. They're at least 50% human. Most of them.
My part-time job is explaining Math jokes. The comments I get are...I wish you had not explained that, it is worse than it first sounded.
 
Ibix said:
Anybody tells me they want to go ahead with something irregardless
I just thought, if you answered "I know!" whether anybody would recognize the insult.
 
fresh_42 said:
I just thought, if you answered "I know!" whether anybody would recognize the insult.
I must admit I haven't recognised that one...
 
Ibix said:
I must admit I haven't recognised that one...
Maybe I'm wrong, I set it equal to regardless, meaning "more than regardless", and if we go ahead with something without regard, that doesn't sound smart.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ibix
fresh_42 said:
Maybe I'm wrong, I set it equal to regardless, meaning "more than regardless", and if we go ahead with something without regard, that doesn't sound smart.
Please move this to the " Jokes Explained" Forum, Fresh_meister.
 
WWGD said:
Please move this to the " Jokes Explained" Forum, Fresh_meister.
This is similar to another set phrase people use to say on birthdays, and which I always considered as a curse: "Stay as you are!" Hell, no, this excludes development and improvement!
 
I am trying to record a slow clap and use it as a wake up alarm.
 
WWGD said:
I am trying to record a slow clap and use it as a wake up alarm.
Be careful with rhythms. I once used techno as wake up channel with the result, that my heart frequency adjusted to the beat and I've slept even better. :cool:
 
I need some assistance. My wife and her co-workers are constantly swamped with so many overlapping meetings that they don't even get time for lunch. They've tried blocking out time for lunch on their calendar but others see that as an open invitation to schedule their meeting. I want to come up with an official sounding meeting name that has the acronym of LUNCH. Any ideas?