What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 758K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Klystron
Gold Member
- 1,264
- 1,980
The saying I learned as a child for irrelevant information from a faraway place was:fresh_42 said:We have a phrase here to answer someone who told you something completely irrelevant, not of any interest or boring: "That interests me about as much as if a sack of rice falls over in China."
{snip}
"What has that to do with the price of peanuts in Perth?"
The "price of peanuts" part was probably alliteration. Everything Australian was considered cool back then; so, Perth. In the 1960's kids would talk about visiting Australia; in the 1980's, Alaska. My children like to visit Asia; my grandchildren, Europe. So, full circle. Everything old is new again.
- 20,819
- 28,467
Too bad, isn't it?WWGD said:New coffee shop chain Birch coffee shop chose to use cursive letters for some of its signs. New suggested logo:" No, not a t, its an r".
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
You would imagine they would know better. Wonder if they will change it and admit their mistake, that it was not a good idea. Specially after McD's McWrap ( Ma Crap) just a few years back. "Would you like a McWrap?". " Well, it's kind of personal, don't you think?".fresh_42 said:Too bad, isn't it?
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
Posts have been deleted, debate is not allowed in random thoughts.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Edit:Started talking to this Russian guy named Timur. I told him there was a city in the US named after him (Clearly not him personally but someone of his same name)Baltimur. He believed and seemed so happy that it felt too awkward to tell him it was a joke. Hope he won't make too much of an idiot of himself if/when talking about it.
Last edited:
DennisN
Gold Member
- 2,197
- 10,329
Let's go shopping. In 1663. 
387-Year-Old Shopping List Discovered Under Floorboards In Historic English Home
http://archaeology-world.com/387-year-old-shopping-list-discovered-under-floorboards-in-historic-english-home/
387-Year-Old Shopping List Discovered Under Floorboards In Historic English Home
http://archaeology-world.com/387-year-old-shopping-list-discovered-under-floorboards-in-historic-english-home/
Robert Draper (1633) said:Mr. Bilby, I pray p[ro]vide to be sent too morrow in ye Cart some Greenfish, The Lights from my Lady Cranfield[es] Cham[ber] 2 dozen of Pewter spoon[es]: one greate fireshovell for ye nursery; and ye o[t]hers which were sent to be exchanged for some of a better fashion, a new frying pan together with a note of ye prises of such Commoditie for ye rest.
Your loving friend
Robert Draper
Octobre 1633
Copthall
- 20,819
- 28,467
I have a book co-authored by Collatz about optimization theory ...
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
YAY! I went to the grocery store yesterday (don't tell my daughter). I found toilet paper, paper towels, flour, rubbing alcohol, BUT that had been relabeled as HAND SANITIZER and a 98 cent bottle was selling for $8! It was just plain rubbing alcohol, nothing else, just a different label! That PISSED ME OFF. But I bought it, it was all they had. :( I may go after them for price gouging. Nice to see the shelves stocked again.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
This was a local distillery, SHAMEFUL! Small Bottle. I'm keeping my receipt for proof of the price gouging.BillTre said:We can get hand sanitizer made by a local distillery. Less than $8.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Take revenge on some other store. Like those with signs of "Everything for $1". Just go there, give them $1 and demand to receive everything in the store. Maybe they will finally learn to quantify correctly.Evo said:YAY! I went to the grocery store yesterday (don't tell my daughter). I found toilet paper, paper towels, flour, rubbing alcohol, BUT that had been relabeled as HAND SANITIZER and a 98 cent bottle was selling for $8! It was just plain rubbing alcohol, nothing else, just a different label! That PISSED ME OFF. But I bought it, it was all they had. :( I may go after them for price gouging. Nice to see the shelves stocked again.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
AHAHAHAHA I am just about in the mood to do that!WWGD said:Take revenge on some other store. Like those with signs of "Everything for $1". Just go there, give them $1 and demand to receive everything in the store. Maybe they will finally learn to quantify correctly.
- 20,819
- 28,467
Urrgghhh! I'm with your daughter. We fight the same battle.Evo said:I went to the grocery store yesterday (don't tell my daughter).
skyshrimp
- 39
- 122
I had a gross experience late last night.
I was quite drunk and watching 3D films on my Oculus Rift VR headset, so the room lights were off. The fridges are in the garden and I left my empty pint glass on the patio floor. I went out and got my last beer for the night and started filling the glass in the dark. It really frothed up, so I let it settle and poured in the rest of the beer. I went back inside and continued with what I was watched on the Rift, occasionally lifting it off my face to have a sip.
When I got to the last gulp, I felt something touch my lip. I turned the light on and found it was a slug inside the glass
I ran to the toilet and chucked.
tl;dr I drank slug slime infused beer last night.
I was quite drunk and watching 3D films on my Oculus Rift VR headset, so the room lights were off. The fridges are in the garden and I left my empty pint glass on the patio floor. I went out and got my last beer for the night and started filling the glass in the dark. It really frothed up, so I let it settle and poured in the rest of the beer. I went back inside and continued with what I was watched on the Rift, occasionally lifting it off my face to have a sip.
When I got to the last gulp, I felt something touch my lip. I turned the light on and found it was a slug inside the glass

I ran to the toilet and chucked.
tl;dr I drank slug slime infused beer last night.
Adesh
- 735
- 191
Is it possible to clean a book without reprinting it?
This is the book I found in my father’s old cupboard:
The sides of the book looks like this:
This is how it looks from back side (I know it looks very luxurious from back)
The problem is the book shedding small small dirts (which I think are small pieces of paper which are getting shed due to being old and rotten). Is there any way I can clean this book? My book is free from termites, but it’s not clean, cleaning it with wet cloth results in tearing of pages. What can I do?
This is the book I found in my father’s old cupboard:
The sides of the book looks like this:
This is how it looks from back side (I know it looks very luxurious from back)
The problem is the book shedding small small dirts (which I think are small pieces of paper which are getting shed due to being old and rotten). Is there any way I can clean this book? My book is free from termites, but it’s not clean, cleaning it with wet cloth results in tearing of pages. What can I do?
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,856
- 12,708
It may be falling apart because it is not acid free paper. I think it just kind falls apart over time.
To clean papers and textiles without water, you could try a soft crumbly eraser (my sister who works at the Smithsonian told me this).
You paper may be too delicate however.
There are also treatments museums do that neutralizes the paper's pH (to slow its aging).
They probably involve water.
To clean papers and textiles without water, you could try a soft crumbly eraser (my sister who works at the Smithsonian told me this).
You paper may be too delicate however.
There are also treatments museums do that neutralizes the paper's pH (to slow its aging).
They probably involve water.
Adesh
- 735
- 191
Thank for the advice.
Did you ask her specifically for my issue? Thank you so much.BillTre said:my sister who works at the Smithsonian told me this
Adesh
- 735
- 191
I thought I was special to you, :(BillTre said:NO
Similar threads
- DJeffs
- · Replies 15 ·
- STEM Career Guidance
- Replies
- 15
- Cait
- · Replies 1 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 1
- Replies
- 2