What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 758K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmmm, I call it tea...

1606932469407.png
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: hmmm27
My girlfriend wants a $500 hair straightener for Christmas.

$500?

I was thinking a George Foreman Grill would work just as well and it only cost a fraction of the price.
 
Ivan Seeking said:
hair straightener
ith%2Ba%2Bclothes%2Biron%252C%2B1960%2B%25284%2529.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ivan Seeking
My first 'paid' work in electronics was to mount an https://cdn.cpu-world.com/CPUs/80386/S_AMD-NG80386DX-40.jpg chip onto a mainboard with damaged socket (some of those were with both socket and place for the flat chip).
Honestly, I was anything but well prepared. It took almost a day, with equipment I would not dare to use for soldering even a cable these days. But at the end it worked and I was always proud of my patience.

Then I've found this yesterday:
patience.jpg

There is always a higher mountain...:cry:
 
Last edited:
  • Like
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: DaveE and Ibix
Looks like some kind of cyborg jellyfish.

Let me guess - this is the work of some over-clocker who's trying to cool the chip by airflow on both sides?
 
Honi soit qui mal y pense!

Arizona State University has removed its SIR calculator. At least the link doesn't work anymore.
 
Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
Why?
Everything I've ever tried using the browser failed. What do you think is good about it?
 
dlgoff said:
Everything I've ever tried using the browser failed. What do you think is good about it?

I'm not using it until people like you get it hashed out. :D
 
The Edge Chromium update was loads of fun - all of my bookmarks were wiped out as part of the update! ?:)
I uninstalled it after that and it re-installed itself. :frown:
 
Last edited:
  • Sad
Likes   Reactions: dlgoff and Keith_McClary
If they advertise a fabric softener as vegan, w** was in there before?
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Keith_McClary
fresh_42 said:
If they advertise a fabric softener as vegan, w** was in there before?

Skirt steak?

Recall that meat dresses were in ten years ago

1608252659478.png
 
Borg said:
The Edge Chromium update was loads of fun - all of my bookmarks were wiped out as part of the update! ?:)
I unistalled it after that and it re-installed itself. :frown:

I've been working with Hexavalent Chromium. It's even worse because you can never uninstall it.
 
Ivan Seeking said:
I've been working with Hexavalent Chromium. It's even worse because you can never uninstall it.
Somehow the last word in that sentence went missing; it should be "either." o_O

Cheers,
Tom
 
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: dlgoff
I'm wondering what browser @Greg Bernhardt recommends now. Back in 2003,
https://www.physicsforums.com/members/greg-bernhardt.1/ said:
I primarily use Firebird and occasionally use IE for specific things.
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Keith_McClary and Greg Bernhardt
fresh_42 said:
I'm still missing Netscape.
Dang. I had forgotten about that one.
 
dlgoff said:
I'm wondering what browser @Greg Bernhardt recommends now. Back in 2003,

I'm in SEO so I use all of them. Generally I use Chrome the most because of it's fast development, but understand it's the poorest in privacy. Firefox and Brave are great for privacy. I still use Opera a bit and the recent versions of MS Edge are pretty good.
 
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: Keith_McClary and dlgoff
Greg Bernhardt said:
... but understand it's the poorest in privacy.
Whatever we may say about Google, and it's presumably even understated, but their products work. It worked best and first as a search engine, and it works now as a browser. I used Firefox before, but it blasted my memory, since all tasks were within one job, whereas Chrome starts several jobs which avoids any bottleneck effects. What MS tried from the beginning, namely to get things going independently from the user, Google did it. And other than MS I am not left outside the doors when it comes to administration possibilities. MS might be nice for grandmas, but it is pure horror for (non MS) developers.
 
People often say that they look just like a parent or grandparent. Sometimes people will go back even farther and see some family member who was nearly identical to someone alive today. And in turn, many of them were likely nearly identical to their grandparent or other ancestor.

This suggests that, for example, there might have been someone walking around 500 years ago who looked just like you!
 
Ivan Seeking said:
years ago that looked just like you!
-thunberg-19th-century-lookalike-split-exlarge-169.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre and Ivan Seeking
It makes me wonder which faces are the oldest. What faces have been around the longest.
 
"if you believe only in logical things then you are going to miss many things which are beyond your logic"
And ironically i find this statement very logical.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre
I set my alarm for midnight to take my chicken thighs out of the smoker. The alarm went off and I laid down for 5 minutes more. I ended up falling asleep again until 7am. I just checked the meat and it came out perfect. The charcoal had burnt out, but the oak blocks still had some small glowing embers, so I just got some extra smoke without heat.

That was lucky.