What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 758K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Along the lines of these word games, I remember when I was in a drugstore and someone asked a staff member for batteries. Staff asked D's ( D batteries) and customer replied : "No, dose", you know, deese and dose.
 
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: Keith_McClary
WWGD said:
Along the lines of these word games, I remember when I was in a drugstore and someone asked a staff member for batteries. Staff asked D's ( D batteries) and customer replied : "No, dose", you know, deese and dose.
If you're not British, you may not have heard of a very famous British comedy sketch in which a man apparently asks a storekeeper for "four candles", when he actually wants "fork handles". The sketch continues with many more misunderstandings. The sketch is famous enough to have its own Wikipedia article: Four Candles.

 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: OmCheeto, WWGD, BillTre and 1 other person
Pic of the day!

1604011716878.png
​
 
etotheipi said:
1,2-dimethylcyclopropene?
I had so successfully forgotten that horrible test in organic chemistry with its maze of 1,5,3,9,2-dihexanyloctanlbenzo... then you came along. :mad:
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: etotheipi
DrGreg said:
If you're not British, you may not have heard of a very famous British comedy sketch in which a man apparently asks a storekeeper for "four candles", when he actually wants "fork handles". The sketch continues with many more misunderstandings. The sketch is famous enough to have its own Wikipedia article: Four Candles.


I was an adjunct and at one point I had 3 students who went by : Billy, Bill Lee and Bill E. " No, I am not Billy, I am Bill E...". Fun semester.
 
I actually slapped a fly. It had been buzzing, came my way, I tried to make it go away and I hit it and it flew away. Wonder what it felt comparatively, i.e., what the analogue would be for a human: being led away by a hurricane?
 
fresh_42 said:
Do vegans get flu shots?
Closest I know, Markle got one. But she's a megan, but maybe not a vegan.
 
  • Skeptical
Likes   Reactions: Keith_McClary
Hot dogs are called frankfurters because they originated in Frankfurt. Hamburgers because they originated in Hamburg.

Cheeseburgers originated in...Cheeseburg?
 
WWGD said:
Hot dogs are called frankfurters because they originated in Frankfurt. Hamburgers because they originated in Hamburg.

Cheeseburgers originated in...Cheeseburg?
You have forgotten Wieners. And it was the ship which originated in Hamburg, not the then dried beef. Btw., do you know where they fish those square fish the use for Fishburgers?
 
fresh_42 said:
You have forgotten Wieners. And it was the ship which originated in Hamburg, not the then dried beef. Btw., do you know where they fish those square fish the use for Fishburgers?
Squarefishburg?
 
fresh_42 said:
Btw., do you know where they fish those square fish the use for Fishburgers?
Right-angelfish, you mean? Dunno, but maybe BillTre does.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
Ibix said:
Right-angelfish, you mean? Dunno, but maybe BillTre does.
I saw a pic of Bill once here and he didn't look like a fish to me.
Now let's figure out where the boneless chicken patties come from. I mean, how can a chicken without bones even move?
 
WWGD said:
Now let's figure out where the boneless chicken patties come from. I mean, how can a chicken without bones even move?
Well, my patties actually did not move.
 
Reminds me of an old joke.

McDonalds had been sued for fish poisoning.
McDonalds won.
They could prove beyond any doubts and seamlessly that their product never contained any fish.
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: hmmm27
fresh_42 said:
Well, my patties actually did not move.
I've been trying to remove that image from my mind for the last few hours ;).
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: fresh_42
I wonder how to deal with "Studies Bias" where people in different sides of an issue quote studies to support their respective points. It has ended throughout in rabbit holes and deadlock. Like someone described it " Too many priests and too few heathens".
 
Wonder how many ways you can spell a sentence using the terms " Khaddafi" and " Beijing". I've seen each spelled in like 10 different ways: Khadaffi, Gadafi, Ghadaffi ; Peking, Beijing, Peiping,.. N
 
WWGD said:
Wonder how many ways you can spell a sentence using the terms " Khaddafi" and " Beijing". I've seen each spelled in like 10 different ways: Khadaffi, Gadafi, Ghadaffi ; Peking, Beijing, Peiping,.. N
There is a thread titled "High-field Hall effect" and I read "High-heel fall effect".
 
fresh_42 said:
There is a thread titled "High-field Hall effect" and I read "High-heel fall effect".
Ghaddafi/Kaddafi wrote it in Peiping/Beijing.
 
fresh_42 said:
There is a thread titled "High-field Hall effect" and I read "High-heel fall effect".
I used to think " Hahn Decomposition" was " Hanhdy" composition. Parsing is hard often.
 
And then the mandatory: " I want Lamb o ver Rice". Over rice or over ice?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Keith_McClary
WWGD said:
Over rice or over ice?
That's why the expression "on the rocks" was invented.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
Does a Physicist describe their day as in:
" I left the house at 8 a.m., with an initial velocity of 15 m/h"?
 
Keith_McClary said:
That's why the expression "on the rocks" was invented.
Lamb on the rocks it is!
 
Keith_McClary said:
That's why the expression "on the rocks" was invented.
Nope. On the rocks wys originally meant literally. Kids were sent to fetch cool rocks from the nearby creek to cool the Whiskey at times when ice wasn't available. But don't do this with a Scotch!